Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 73/7
    Given: 19/1

Cubs are saving money for a change

The Cubs picked up Aramis Ramirez's 2012 option, but he has decided to decline the option and test free agency. That saves the team $16M for the season and $2M over what they would have paid had they declined the option from their end. They expect to not re-sign Ramirez. I'm glad they are making an effort to spend less.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 23/3
    Given: 11/3

Re: Cubs are saving money for a change

Ramirez will probably come crawling back after he finds out that nobody is willing to give him as much as the Cubs were going to. Right?
    Go Hawkeyes. Go Eagles. Go Cubs. Go UNI Panthers (except when they're playing the Hawks, of course).

I find that a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. -Mitch Hedberg

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face.
    And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."

"You can't fix stupid." -inspired by many of the posters on this fine message board.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 11/1
    Given: 9/0

That was a no brainor to pick up Ramirez's option. He wants a multi year deal and he knows he put up just good enough numbers that someone will give him that on the open market. The 3rd base free agent market is thin this year. So they saved themselves 2 million by picking up the option knowing he would reject it.

Zambrano comes off the books after next year so that is another 20 million. The Cubs will have some money to spend if Epstein sees someone that will offer the Cubs good value. As I stated in another thread I doubt Epstein goes after Pujols.

I do have to say with the Brewers losing Fielder and the Cardinals possibly losing Pujols and LaRussa the Central is looking winnable next year. I do not think it would take many pieces or a ton of money to be competitive in the Central next year.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 318/127
    Given: 44/62

Quote Originally Posted by GoHawks24 View Post
    Ramirez will probably come crawling back after he finds out that nobody is willing to give him as much as the Cubs were going to. Right?
    Ramirez will have plenty of teams after him. He's a top 5 third baseman in the MLB.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

The only bigtime FA I hope the Cubs are interested in is Fielder. Signing him would make a rival worse and the Cubs on the road to relevance. Just hope the Cards resign Pujols to a long term contract so they can be like the Cubs in a few years...just waiting for a contract to run out.
    “You can sum up this sport in two words: ‘You never know.’”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    That was a no brainor to pick up Ramirez's option. He wants a multi year deal and he knows he put up just good enough numbers that someone will give him that on the open market. The 3rd base free agent market is thin this year. So they saved themselves 2 million by picking up the option knowing he would reject it.

Zambrano comes off the books after next year so that is another 20 million. The Cubs will have some money to spend if Epstein sees someone that will offer the Cubs good value. As I stated in another thread I doubt Epstein goes after Pujols.

I do have to say with the Brewers losing Fielder and the Cardinals possibly losing Pujols and LaRussa the Central is looking winnable next year. I do not think it would take many pieces or a ton of money to be competitive in the Central next year.

Not to mention Dempster and Byrd come off the books, there's another 20 mill. Could be interesting.

I for one don't think they get Fielder and go with Pena or LaHair. Just a feeling.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike23 View Post
    Ramirez will have plenty of teams after him. He's a top 5 third baseman in the MLB.
    This is true as long as it isnt cold and his team is out of 1st place by double digit games
    *2011 HN Football Board Poster Of the Year*

*2011 HN Smoothest Poster From The Arnold's Park Area*

"busabus114 is exceptionally smoooooooth" -Keith Stone

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 23/3
    Given: 11/3

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeMike23 View Post
    Eh, I don't know about that, especially since he's on the backslide of his career. I'd give him top 10. A few that are better off the top of my head:

A-Rod
    Wright
    Longoria
    Beltre
    Zimmerman
    Sandoval
    Youkilis (sp?)
    Bautista
    Go Hawkeyes. Go Eagles. Go Cubs. Go UNI Panthers (except when they're playing the Hawks, of course).

I find that a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. -Mitch Hedberg

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face.
    And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."

"You can't fix stupid." -inspired by many of the posters on this fine message board.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 73/7
    Given: 19/1

I was with you up to this point. I think that if Pujols and Fielder both leave the division, then 86-88 wins will be good enough to win the division, but I don't think the Cubs have what it takes to pick up those 15-17 extra wins. I just think they have too many question marks to contend next year. Honestly, I think it is more likely that their win total will be in the 60s next year than in the 80s, though around 75 is where I would imagine they will end up.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

I think the cubs need to go after youth and pitching this your OR go after Fielder
    Iowa City via West Des Moines
    GO HAWKS

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by thejumper5 View Post
    I was with you up to this point. I think that if Pujols and Fielder both leave the division, then 86-88 wins will be good enough to win the division, but I don't think the Cubs have what it takes to pick up those 15-17 extra wins. I just think they have too many question marks to contend next year. Honestly, I think it is more likely that their win total will be in the 60s next year than in the 80s, though around 75 is where I would imagine they will end up.
    So you think the Cubs will not even try next season? Cubs spent 134 million on payroll last year and right now they currently sit at 71 million obligated for next season for 6 player contracts. You have another 6 players they can offer arbitration to. In comparison Boston spent 160 million for their roster. I don't know if I have ever seen a big market team reduce their payroll. While I do not expect Epstein to foolishly throw money around in free agency I do think he will make moves that will be a good fit for the Cubs long term. If you got 2 of the top teams in your division losing their key player I think it would be foolish for the Cubs just to give up next year and not at least try to put the pieces in place to compete for the division.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 490/111
    Given: 17/4

I think next year will be another painful on field experience...one more year of waiting out some expiring deals..and of course, the Soriano deal is still around for a bit...it might just be best to wait things out another year and bank on the 'Let's go to Wrigley because its a party' card you know you can draw on.

Thumbs Up/Down

So the Cubs go out and spend money to bring in a top notch Team President and in the first year he comes in and slashes payroll?

Thumbs Up/Down

So the Cubs go out and spend money to bring in a top notch Team President and in the first year he comes in and slashes payroll?
    It makes perfect sense - the only way the Cubs can get better is to shed the awful deals. ?By bringing in a high profile guy like Epstein the Cubs have bought time with the fan base because all Cubs fans have a huge chub for Epstein.

Ownership spent $15 mil on a GM instead of $200 mil on a fat 1st baseman

Its actually a genius move
    *2011 HN Football Board Poster Of the Year*

*2011 HN Smoothest Poster From The Arnold's Park Area*

"busabus114 is exceptionally smoooooooth" -Keith Stone

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 58/5
    Given: 27/1

Quote Originally Posted by busabus114 View Post
    It makes perfect sense - the only way the Cubs can get better is to shed the awful deals. ?By bringing in a high profile guy like Epstein the Cubs have bought time with the fan base because all Cubs fans have a huge chub for Epstein.

Ownership spent $15 mil on a GM instead of $200 mil on a fat 1st baseman

Its actually a genius move
    Winner. I still think the Cubs might go after Fielder, but overall, slashing the payroll is what the Cubs need. Get rid of as many of the bad contracts as possible so that we can move on.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast