View Poll Results: Satisfied with overall coaching changes?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, good hires and/or exactly what was needed for the program

79 74.53%
  • Indifferent, boring hires and/or you don't forsee much changing with the program

24 22.64%
  • No, bad hires and/or the hires will make the program worse

3 2.83%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Satisfied with coaching staff?

Now that the coaching changes are complete, are you satisfied with the changes as a whole? Remembering back to IMO the tipping point, the meltdown after the loss to Minnesota this year, turned the majority of the fanbase in favor of at least some sort of coaching changes throughout the second half of the season. Jon summed it up well in an article he wrote (if memory serves me right) after the Insight Bowl that Iowa football had turned in his words "stale". Does this shakeup renew your excitement, or at least make you more hopeful for the future?
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 38/1
    Given: 29/0

Re: Satisfied with coaching staff?

My choice isn't on there. It is good hires, and I don't forsee much changing.

Thumbs Up/Down

I think every change was for the positive- even losing Norm. I think Norm's health made it imperative that he retire and that Phil Parker will step in and transition Iowa to a slightly more aggressive version of what has been traditionally successful. I am excited to see Davis' impact passing game. I have heard good things about his ability to gameplan and teach. I am in the camp that thinks Iowa will be hard to prepare for going into the next couple of seasons and that the passing game is going to improve tangibly.

But I am really excited about the additions of Ferentz and Woods. Two young guys who had success as Hawkeyes and in their post Iowa careers in football. They should bring a lot to the table recruiting and may relate to younger players better.

Going forward I think Iowa's offense will be a nice marriage of Davis passing acumen blended with the traditional zone blocking running scheme that has been mostly successful over the last 13 seasons. The player who benefits most immediately is obviously Vandenberg and I think he is poised to have a great senior season and could pass for over 30 TDs next season and will likely surpass his yardage total from last season. If Iowa can score 30 ppg next season given the schedule the record should be something we can all live with- 8 wins being the floor.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

I'm neither satisfied nor disatisfied as I had no say in the matter. I could care less whose on the coaching staff.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 466/47
    Given: 45/2

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    I could care less whose on the coaching staff.
    How much?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1

Quote Originally Posted by spudhawk View Post
    I think every change was for the positive- even losing Norm. I think Norm's health made it imperative that he retire and that Phil Parker will step in and transition Iowa to a slightly more aggressive version of what has been traditionally successful. I am excited to see Davis' impact passing game. I have heard good things about his ability to gameplan and teach. I am in the camp that thinks Iowa will be hard to prepare for going into the next couple of seasons and that the passing game is going to improve tangibly.

But I am really excited about the additions of Ferentz and Woods. Two young guys who had success as Hawkeyes and in their post Iowa careers in football. They should bring a lot to the table recruiting and may relate to younger players better.

Going forward I think Iowa's offense will be a nice marriage of Davis passing acumen blended with the traditional zone blocking running scheme that has been mostly successful over the last 13 seasons. The player who benefits most immediately is obviously Vandenberg and I think he is poised to have a great senior season and could pass for over 30 TDs next season and will likely surpass his yardage total from last season. If Iowa can score 30 ppg next season given the schedule the record should be something we can all live with- 8 wins being the floor.
    I would expand on this but I can't. It's the perfect post for this thread.

Bravo Spud.
    Someday, I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place, where we want to go,
    And we'll walk in the sun.
    But till then Tramps Like Us
    Baby we were Born to Run!

You can't imply anything to morons - Ahmet Ertegun.

Thumbs Up/Down

Re:Satisfied with coaching staff?

Very very excited

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 230/16
    Given: 390/4

It is a push on the hires. Probably more of the same....with a few different wrinkles.

Thumbs Up/Down

RE:Satisfied with coaching staff?

I just don't know why we would think that just because Phil Parker was an assistant under Norm and will have a similar "system", that he will be as effective of a DC and teacher as Norm was. There really is no evidence of that, if the evidence doesn't in fact suggest the opposite. I am worried a little about that hire but I may very well be proven wrong.

Thumbs Up/Down

See - here is the thing...

With Ken, the scheme was fine and the Sun-Fri coaching was also fine. It was the playcalling - not the plays, but the order in which they were called. There was no cohesion.

I expect that to get better.

Thumbs Up/Down

I like the moves, ready to be relevant again.
    “Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.”

Bob Marley

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriHerk View Post
    I just don't know why we would think that just because Phil Parker was an assistant under Norm and will have a similar "system", that he will be as effective of a DC and teacher as Norm was. There really is no evidence of that, if the evidence doesn't in fact suggest the opposite. I am worried a little about that hire but I may very well be proven wrong.
    Bob Sanders, Amari Spivey, Tyler Sash, Brett Greenwood, Benny Sapp, Charles Godfrey and soon Shawn Prater and Micah Hyde disagree with you.

He has been arguably our best position coach on either side of the ball in the KF era.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0
    Given: 12/1

Ask me at the end of next season, and then again after 2 seasons.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 1/0

I'm somewhere believing these were good hires and "meh" hires. Not neat fit there. I'd say I like the Woods and B. Ferentz hires, under the circumstances.

As a football coach the greatest strength of Hayden Fry was his choosing and development of coaches. We all know the litany of coaches who've served under Hayden that turned Iowa into "The Harvard of college football coaching". Joe Philbin was a very good hire, and an even better one was Norm Parker, and a number of the others go from a floor of not bad to good.

We don't know KF's legacy yet but there's some legitimate reason for hope that Hayden passed down some his ability to identify quality coaches to our favorite nice guy head coach.

That's why like in talent identification in recruiting I think the cliche "trust the coach/es" fits well with him than most others. He has a impressive resume at it. I'm not sure his ability to identify quality coaches is of quite the same caliber but there's not been a lot of turnover in the staff hence not a lot of examples of a former Iowa coach going on to coaching greatness elsewhere. But, his coaching staffs have been strong, in the main. So, willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'm a little concerned though if salary structure may have played a role in who we have on staff. Can we really get the guys KF really wants that say an SEC school could?

Hard to say. With Davis my concern if he will repeat some mistakes of the past, and as I interpret them, being too predictable. I like how his strengths as a coach dovetails with KF's weaknesses, and conversely how KF's strengths fill some holes in his resume. It sounds like Davis's role at Iowa will be similar to his role as QB coach, and passing offensive coordinator at Georgia. The QB's and passing game is his, the offensive ground game is KF's. I'm not sure how the game plans will play out. I expect they'll be collaborative but, who will do the bulk of the game planning and play calling? I assume that'll be Davis as he simply has less overall responsibilities and less time constraints than KF. With Phil Parker he's more of a known quantity. I really don't expect much change on defense and that's probably a very good thing as that's carried us for most of the last decade.

I'm not quite where I can call these good hires, but I suspect it's more likely that they are than they aren't and that's because I trust Kirk's judgement(except during certain game/time management situations...wink).

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 16/1

It could have been worse, I'm of the thinking that there were some good hires and some "meh, makes sense" hires. A nice big gray feeling, no comfort or discomfort just pensive about it all...
    -They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast