Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scorpio79

One penn stater who gets it

This guy seems to have his head on straight. If only everyone else associated with (and/or fans of) penn state adopted this attitude and level of acceptance of the facts.
    He doesn't say enough about the sandusky victims, imo, but nevertheless it's a solid piece of writing.

The end of 'Joe Paterno University' - CNN.com
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Re: One penn stater who gets it

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio79 View Post
    This guy seems to have his head on straight. If only everyone else associated with (and/or fans of) penn state adopted this attitude and level of acceptance of the facts.
    He doesn't say enough about the sandusky victims, imo, but nevertheless it's a solid piece of writing.

The end of 'Joe Paterno University' - CNN.com
    Good article, Scorpio.

Here's another good article from Grantland. The author went to PSU and his parents worked there as well.

Joe Paterno's legacy at Penn State in the aftermath of the Freeh Report - Grantland

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 114/25
    Given: 80/18

Cartoon carried today in, of all places, the Philadelphia Inquirer.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...33308446_n.jpg
    GoHawks24/GhostofBTT/BTTofGhost/deadhead4life

Scorpio79

Quote Originally Posted by woodyk1 View Post
    Good article, Scorpio.

Here's another good article from Grantland. The author went to PSU and his parents worked there as well.

Joe Paterno's legacy at Penn State in the aftermath of the Freeh Report - Grantland
    Outstanding opinion piece. Very well written.
    Thanks, Woodster!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

I really think that's how most fans feel. It's the people that are closer to the University that are in denial.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 110/8
    Given: 191/6

Good articles. I would like to think that if this was about Iowa, that would be the way to proceed. The heads at PSU became warped in their thinking, possibly brought on by their former success on the gridiron.

In many ways, it has worked to our advantage to be a GREAT university with a pretty good above avg football team, rather than a great football team from a pretty good university. Just looking at the bigger picture, you want your school to be the strength behind the name. That really is what we are most proud of, football is just a way to enjoy Autumn weekends and show the rest of the country that your school does exist.

Scorpio79

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoHAWKEYE View Post
    Good articles. I would like to think that if this was about Iowa, that would be the way to proceed. The heads at PSU became warped in their thinking, possibly brought on by their former success on the gridiron.

In many ways, it has worked to our advantage to be a GREAT university with a pretty good above avg football team, rather than a great football team from a pretty good university. Just looking at the bigger picture, you want your school to be the strength behind the name. That really is what we are most proud of, football is just a way to enjoy Autumn weekends and show the rest of the country that your school does exist.
    Agreed. I am far more proud of the UIHC and several of the other outstanding academic departments/facilities than I am of the football program.
    As you said, football is a great game and a fun diversion, and I'm passionate about the Hawkeyes, but at the end of the day, it's the UNIVERSITY that I represent in my life, not the dept of athletics.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 372/100
    Given: 804/15

If this was happening at Iowa and we didn't suspend football for at least a season I'd be irredeemably disgusted.
    I am now ThunderHawk, Inc. I am a Corporate SuperPerson(TM). I am immortal, my liability is limited, and I own the government. Just do what I say and nobody gets hurt.

@thunderhawk33

www.14ers.com

http://www.aecf.org/MajorInitiatives/KIDSCOUNT.aspx

On the 50 yard line, east side of Kinnick, sunshine on my shoulders!
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 36/8

Agreed. I am far more proud of the UIHC and several of the other outstanding academic departments/facilities than I am of the football program.
    As you said, football is a great game and a fun diversion, and I'm passionate about the Hawkeyes, but at the end of the day, it's the UNIVERSITY that I represent in my life, not the dept of athletics.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHawk View Post
    If this was happening at Iowa and we didn't suspend football for at least a season I'd be irredeemably disgusted.
    Sums up my feelings as well.
    I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
    Groucho Marx

"Normally my front end makes no sounds"...... Freaky 11/22/2012

*** Official Best poster from Twin Lakes area 2011 - TwinLaker ***

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 124/119
    Given: 18/24

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHawk View Post
    It would have to be more than one season.

Thumbs Up/Down

Very well put Scorpio. I couldn't agree more.
    "The woman drove me to drink...it's the only thing I'm indebted to her for." - W.C. Fields -

Thumbs Up/Down

Here's another article (From November of last year) that describes more of the lack of leadership at PSU. This involves the women's basketball program, a long-tenured coach (Portland) hired by Paterno in his brief tenure as AD, President Spanier, and AD Tim Curley. Now, this was not as bad a controversy as the PSU football program, but it shows some of the same tendencies to protect the program not the people. This last paragraph speaks volumes:

But, again, it speaks to the fact that the vigilance to make sure everyone is doing the right thing by young people isn't something a university and athletic department should leave up to an "every once in a while" maintenance check. It needs constant care.

Penn State Nittany Lions again deficient in leadership - ESPN

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 98/5
    Given: 19/2

Rick Reilly admitting he was a fool.

Rick Reilly: Joe Paterno's True Legacy - ESPN
    All time bowl wins: Ricky Stanzi: 3
    Iowa State: 3

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 372/100
    Given: 804/15

Quote Originally Posted by spliff45 View Post
    Rick Reilly admitting he was a fool.

Rick Reilly: Joe Paterno's True Legacy - ESPN
    From your Reilly link:

I hope Penn State loses civil suits until the walls of the accounting office cave in. I hope that Spanier, Schultz and Curley go to prison for perjury. I hope the NCAA gives Penn State the death penalty it most richly deserves. The worst scandal in college football history deserves the worst penalty the NCAA can give. They gave it to SMU for winning without regard for morals. They should give it to Penn State for the same thing. The only difference is, at Penn State they didn't pay for it with Corvettes. They paid for it with lives.
    Preach it, brother.

Preach it cuz it's true.
    I am now ThunderHawk, Inc. I am a Corporate SuperPerson(TM). I am immortal, my liability is limited, and I own the government. Just do what I say and nobody gets hurt.

@thunderhawk33

www.14ers.com

http://www.aecf.org/MajorInitiatives/KIDSCOUNT.aspx

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

The Reilly piece was a good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast