Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Scorpio79

Any of you use or have used a long putter?

Don't even bother replying if all you have are juvenile heh heh heh long putter jokes.
    I'm interested in hearing from any poster who has used one of those long putters in a real round of golf. What do you like about it? Is it easy to get comfortable with it? TIA.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 186/20
    Given: 92/8

Re: Any of you use or have used a long putter?

Well on this forum you already predicted you wont get any responses.

And you cant reply "No I have not used the long putter" for all the scorn you will receive in replies.

Scorpio79

I wonder if that guy "Golfer" has ever used one. He's old, and I think the long putters started and are still popular with old geezers.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 8/0
    Given: 2/1

My friend, who is a scratch golfer, switched to one a couple of months ago. His putting was going downhill so his coach recommended he do something drastic to change things. He bought a nice long putter and his putting has improved dramatically. He really likes it.
    If you lived in Ames for four years you would hate the **** out of ISU too.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Re:Any of you use or have used a long putter?

Not a fan and suggest sticking with normal length putters, since R&A and USGA will be reviewing the use of longer putters.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/r-and-a-official-promises-action-on-long-putters/

Thumbs Up/Down

Obviously vint you only have a short putter available.

By the grace of God I've been very pleased with the "extra-long" for decades and so have all the women. Not to mention they prefer a 3 or 4 putt every time over the one and done.

Scorpio79

Quote Originally Posted by Wavetowngolfer View Post
    Not a fan and suggest sticking with normal length putters, since R&A and USGA will be reviewing the use of longer putters.

R&A Official Promises Action on Long Putters Before Brazil Olympics | Golf Channel
    Interesting. Thanks for posting, Wavetown.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

I'd laugh and point if I saw a fatty using a long putter. They could use a short putter for their belly putter.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfromnorwalk View Post
    My friend, who is a scratch golfer, switched to one a couple of months ago. His putting was going downhill so his coach recommended he do something drastic to change things. He bought a nice long putter and his putting has improved dramatically. He really likes it.
    When the pros and good golfers have putting troubles they many times will just test and try out and use a different putter or I have switched putting grips from right hand to left hand lower on the shaft and many times these changes will make a big difference in feel and concentration.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 39/2
    Given: 24/1

I guess I don't see what the big issue is with the long putters on the PGA. Guys have been using those for years, and now that they've gotten hot in tournaments, it's time to take a look.

Honestly, equipment changes. Drivers didn't used to be the size of small boulders, either. Shafts didn't used to be made of graphite, or even steel.

Maybe I'm just clueless, but I don't see why something like this can be okay for 30 years, and then all of the sudden it's terrible (which coincidentally lines up with a winning streak).
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 3/0

Quote Originally Posted by Wavetowngolfer View Post

R&A Official Promises Action on Long Putters Before Brazil Olympics | Golf Channel
    Why? Calling it "grounding" the putter is ridiculous. If it was any advantage at all, everyone would be using one. The R&A and the USGA should be looking at their pathetic rules. In Milwaukee, a Paul Bunyan sized divot and 17 grains of sand constitutes a sand trap. Moving a freaking ball 3 inches to give another golfer a clear path to the hole can cost you 2 stokes!!! Why not use laser pointers or a small, dime sized puff of very fine talc to mark the ball. Either one would remove any chance of the ball "deflecting" from it's intended path.
    "On this site, I ignore all things Cy"

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by SayHawkKid View Post
    Why? Calling it "grounding" the putter is ridiculous. If it was any advantage at all, everyone would be using one. The R&A and the USGA should be looking at their pathetic rules. In Milwaukee, a Paul Bunyan sized divot and 17 grains of sand constitutes a sand trap. Moving a freaking ball 3 inches to give another golfer a clear path to the hole can cost you 2 stokes!!! Why not use laser pointers or a small, dime sized puff of very fine talc to mark the ball. Either one would remove any chance of the ball "deflecting" from it's intended path.
    Some very good points.

Ernie putt some heat behind that birdie put on 18, seems too many of these players are having trouble getting to the hole, no jokes please

Thumbs Up/Down

ive tried the belly putter. I hated it its hard to judge the speed when you are not used to it. But it is definantly and unfair advantage for those who use it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 12/7

I'll be using a regular putter until the day I can't physically get over a putt sufficiently.
    2011 HN award weiner-pooping-rack'em!
    2012 HN Basketball Poster of the Year - Suck it Herby!

NEGATIVE THREADKILLER

Thumbs Up/Down

Technically long putters are not going to be banned. What makes it an unfair advantage is jamming the end of the putter into your belly, chest, chin.... that is what will be banned if I had a guess. Putters that go to this putting method generally have a problem with the "yips" and bad putters by tour standards become good/decent putters. 2-3 missed 4-6 foot putts per round is not just the difference of winning or losing a tournament, but whether they are on the PGA Tour or Web.com Tour. It is an advantage.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast