Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

Why are Ped State fans so delusional?

I get that everyone has a bias towards something. We're all Hawkeye or Cyclone homers. We think our team is better than it really is and our rivals team is crappier than it really is. Iowa State fans think we're delusional, we think they're delusional.

So I get that homerism is a part of sports. Anyhoo...I found myself stumbling onto the State Penn message boards, which is something I don't do very often. Just wanted to get their take on the whole JoePa/Sandusky fiasco. Let me just say this...

After reading their message board, I'll be honest...I lost a bit of confidence in society. It really is plain and simple and something that CANNOT be argued...

If you do not think JoePa was part of a cover-up, you are a STUPID human being. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This is NOT about being a homer. This is about being a stupid human being. If you are not intelligent enough to come to the conclusion that JoePa (along with others) was part of a cover-up...you're not a Penn State homer...you're a f*cking moron. End of story.

The media is not out to get Penn State. Yeah, they're really just out to make money, not to report the news. But that doesn't mean what they're saying isn't true. JoePa knew about Sandusky all along. He knew that McQueary witnessed "something" going on in the shower....11 years ago. He knew about the 1998 incident. He knew about other rumors. He did nothing. He didn't even at least try to keep Sandusky away from the football program. JoePa (and others) spent about a dozen years just acting like nothing happened.

WTF? Nothing happened? Your former assistant coach was raping little boys. Sometimes even in your football facilities. That's messed up.

And, no, State Penn fan, this is not me "succumbing to media brainwashing". This is me not being a complete effing moron like PSU fans. It was very disgusting to read their message board. To think people are actually dumb enough to believe JoePa was completely innocent in this is just disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

And it's not just a few, or even a small percentage of PSU fans. It's darn near EVERYONE. 99% of that board believes Joe did nothing wrong. Look, I understand if they're upset that the NCAA came down so hard on them. I do agree with the punishment, but I get that they're homers and don't want to see their program in shambles for the next decade. But to spew out their nonsense about how JoePa did nothing wrong and that it's all a media conspiracy....

Get out of here with that nonsense! We're talking about dozens of kids being RAPED. How can you defend a coach that allowed his former coach to continue raping children because he refused to take it to police? This is not the damn media brainwashing me to think this way. These are FACTS. Goodness.

End of rant!
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 87/23
    Given: 46/17

Re: Why are Ped State fans so delusional?

Yawn.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan1319 View Post
    Yawn.
    I'm sorry, I'll stick to topics Iowans care about next time. Let's see here...

-Gymnastics
    -Wrasslin'
    -State fair

So, basically, topics no one outside the state cares about. My bad.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

A large part of the problem are the moderators on the PSU boards. The guy on the Rivals site is at least as crazy as the rest of the Paterno cult. He bans people just for disagreeing with their delusional views of Paterno and the Freeh Report. When you do that, you wind up with people reinforcing each other which makes it easy to be a lemming. There is very little dissent allowed but much foul language against outsiders and BOT IS allowed. I still wonder how he can get away with this. Doesn't Rivals have some standards required for those who run their boards?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 189/51
    Given: 821/587

The crazy PSU fans are the ones still posting. The sane ones don't want to talk about it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 233/26
    Given: 69/14

Yea, they are pretty lost over there right now & many do have blinders on. Pretty sad given the horrible situation that took place.
    "That's Football !!!"

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 139/16
    Given: 29/7

I have lost all respect for anything Penn State. If they would accept that they are in the wrong, take their punishment like men and make sure nothing like this ever happens again. One can forgive. I hear no loud voices from PSU condeming the lemmings for going on as they are. The rivals board for PSu is a joke. One must tow the company line or get banned. Imagine if Jon or Tom banned all the ISu posters that talk smack they way they do? Its a retrded way to monitor a board there. I really wish the NCAA would have given them the death hammer. They deserve it more now than ever.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 151/21
    Given: 148/9

Quote Originally Posted by WillieGuysIQ View Post
    I get that everyone has a bias towards something. We're all Hawkeye or Cyclone homers. We think our team is better than it really is and our rivals team is crappier than it really is. Iowa State fans think we're delusional, we think they're delusional.

So I get that homerism is a part of sports. Anyhoo...I found myself stumbling onto the State Penn message boards, which is something I don't do very often. Just wanted to get their take on the whole JoePa/Sandusky fiasco. Let me just say this...

After reading their message board, I'll be honest...I lost a bit of confidence in society. It really is plain and simple and something that CANNOT be argued...

If you do not think JoePa was part of a cover-up, you are a STUPID human being. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This is NOT about being a homer. This is about being a stupid human being. If you are not intelligent enough to come to the conclusion that JoePa (along with others) was part of a cover-up...you're not a Penn State homer...you're a f*cking moron. End of story.

The media is not out to get Penn State. Yeah, they're really just out to make money, not to report the news. But that doesn't mean what they're saying isn't true. JoePa knew about Sandusky all along. He knew that McQueary witnessed "something" going on in the shower....11 years ago. He knew about the 1998 incident. He knew about other rumors. He did nothing. He didn't even at least try to keep Sandusky away from the football program. JoePa (and others) spent about a dozen years just acting like nothing happened.

WTF? Nothing happened? Your former assistant coach was raping little boys. Sometimes even in your football facilities. That's messed up.

And, no, State Penn fan, this is not me "succumbing to media brainwashing". This is me not being a complete effing moron like PSU fans. It was very disgusting to read their message board. To think people are actually dumb enough to believe JoePa was completely innocent in this is just disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.

And it's not just a few, or even a small percentage of PSU fans. It's darn near EVERYONE. 99% of that board believes Joe did nothing wrong. Look, I understand if they're upset that the NCAA came down so hard on them. I do agree with the punishment, but I get that they're homers and don't want to see their program in shambles for the next decade. But to spew out their nonsense about how JoePa did nothing wrong and that it's all a media conspiracy....

Get out of here with that nonsense! We're talking about dozens of kids being RAPED. How can you defend a coach that allowed his former coach to continue raping children because he refused to take it to police? This is not the damn media brainwashing me to think this way. These are FACTS. Goodness.

End of rant!
    Your first 3 paragraphs are spot-on. But you then go well beyond facts actually present in the Freeh report. Read the links contained here http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/b...eh-report.html Actually READ them before responding, please.

That's the part that is annoying reasonable PSU fans. Not that Joe shouldn't have done more - even he said as much - but that Joe "did nothing" and orchestrated a conspiracy dating back to 1998. An incident which WAS taken to the police, contrary to your post, and investigated by them. Also, if you want to cover something up, you don't generally report it to senior university officials, as Joe did in 2001. They are fighting for the reputation of their beloved football team, and are frustrated that PSU's otherwise exemplary record seems not to count at all. I understand this as far as it goes, and we'd probably do the same.

The delusional PSU fans are the ones who feel they don't deserve sanctions, or that a technicality on trustee approval of Erickson's acceptance of sanctions will save them. They are missing the forest for the trees: they don't understand that even_if JoePa did entirely the right thing, and even_if Spanier didn't receive the full story from his VPs, the institution as a whole failed these kids absymally, and PSU deserve every bit of scorn and sanction they're getting.
    Last edited by Billso; 08-08-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    *** Official Most Erudite Poster - 2011 HN POTY AWARDS ***
    "They were only 46 plays from going undefeated this year. With the talent that CPR has stocked up plus the standout WR from Urbandale coming in, 10-2 is probably a little pessimistic." - OK4P - 12/9/2013

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by daverhawk View Post
    A large part of the problem are the moderators on the PSU boards. The guy on the Rivals site is at least as crazy as the rest of the Paterno cult. He bans people just for disagreeing with their delusional views of Paterno and the Freeh Report. When you do that, you wind up with people reinforcing each other which makes it easy to be a lemming. There is very little dissent allowed but much foul language against outsiders and BOT IS allowed. I still wonder how he can get away with this. Doesn't Rivals have some standards required for those who run their boards?
    The Scout pay board contains a lot of delusion, but also a fair number of PSUers who 'get it'.
    "They were only 46 plays from going undefeated this year. With the talent that CPR has stocked up plus the standout WR from Urbandale coming in, 10-2 is probably a little pessimistic." - OK4P - 12/9/2013

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/1
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by Billso View Post
    Your first 3 paragraphs are spot-on. But you then go well beyond facts actually present in the Freeh report. Read the links contained here http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/b...eh-report.html Actually READ them before responding, please.

That's the part that is annoying reasonable PSU fans. Not that Joe shouldn't have done more - even he said as much - but that Joe "did nothing" and orchestrated a conspiracy dating back to 1998. An incident which WAS taken to the police, contrary to your post, and investigated by them. Also, if you want to cover something up, you don't generally report it to senior university officials, as Joe did in 2001. They are fighting for the reputation of their beloved football team, and are frustrated that PSU's otherwise exemplary record seems not to count at all. I understand this as far as it goes, and we'd probably do the same.

The delusional PSU fans are the ones who feel they don't deserve sanctions, or that a technicality on trustee approval of Erickson's acceptance of sanctions will save them. They are missing the forest for the trees: they don't understand that even_if JoePa did entirely the right thing, and even_if Spanier didn't receive the full story from his VPs, the institution as a whole failed these kids absymally, and PSU deserve every bit of scorn and sanction they're getting.
    So you're saying nothing that gets taken higher in a organization ever gets covered up? Sure, JoePa took it higher, but why did it stop there, and why were they all in agreement that they should confront him not, not take it external when it happened again? They knew about the alleged 1998 incident, then it happened again in 2001 and they found out, but did nothing. Yes, JoePa said he didn't do enough, but why not. They let Sandusky stick around until he was arrested in November 2011. That's what people don't understand and why they think it was a coverup. They didn't do enough. They didn't even separate themselves completely from Sandusky. Why not? Because it would hurt the program where it hurts. So basically JoePa and others did do nothing.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by IowaFan81 View Post
    So you're saying nothing that gets taken higher in a organization ever gets covered up?
    I said nothing of the sort. The facts are clear that Curley and Schulz covered up, possibly Spanier also (and even if not, it was on his watch as President so no excuses). The facts on Paterno are far less clear, as the only evidence - as opposed to speculation - that Joe Paterno 'covered up' was a single mention of 'after talking to Coach' in an email. What's rarely mentioned, but you'll find in the Freeh report if you care to read it, is the extensive discussions among Curley, Schulz, Spanier and others, not involving or mentioning Paterno, on what to do next.

Paterno was certainly powerful, but the meme is "Paterno knew everything and controlled everything". Inconveniently, the actual facts do not back this up, so far. Perhaps new facts will emerge in Curley and Schulz' trial to shed more light - they will certainly be motivated to point the finger elsewhere if the slightest bit of evidence can help them.

Thumbs Up/Down

Re:Why are Ped State fans so delusional?

Anyone that frequents message boards knows that at least a chunk of the people are delusional and perhaps just as many intelligent. The rest fall in between. It should also be noted that in know way do those small factions of fans represent the fan base. Would you want people thinking some of the posters on here represent Iowa?

If you didn't already know/realize these things you might consider yourself anyone of the names you referred to them as.

Thumbs Up/Down

Re:Why are Ped State fans so delusional?

^no, not know...

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/3
    Given: 2/5

Quote Originally Posted by Billso View Post

I just have one question for JoePa supporters. He KNEW about the 1998 incident. That incident got reported and no charges were filed. Ok fine, I can live with that. In 2001 he hears a FIRST HAND account from a former player and current coach of Jerry in the shower doing something of a sexual nature with a kid. So my question is after hearing now a 2nd incident of this, why didn't JoePa just walk up to his long time friend and coach and say "Jerry, Mike tells me you were taking a shower with a kid, is this true? Who is this kid? I need to talk to him". From all accounts I have read, I don't know that anybody confronted Jerry directly on this, nor do I believe did anyone make any effort whatsoever to find out who this kid was, and talk to him and talk to the kids parents. If someone has evidence to the contrary on this send it my way and I'll retract this statement. But if what I just stated is the way things went down, then nobody can defend JoePa or the others involved. Nobody. And if you do you are inhuman and despicable.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by bud2380 View Post
    I just have one question for JoePa supporters. He KNEW about the 1998 incident. That incident got reported and no charges were filed. Ok fine, I can live with that. In 2001 he hears a FIRST HAND account from a former player and current coach of Jerry in the shower doing something of a sexual nature with a kid. So my question is after hearing now a 2nd incident of this, why didn't JoePa just walk up to his long time friend and coach and say "Jerry, Mike tells me you were taking a shower with a kid, is this true? Who is this kid? I need to talk to him". From all accounts I have read, I don't know that anybody confronted Jerry directly on this, nor do I believe did anyone make any effort whatsoever to find out who this kid was, and talk to him and talk to the kids parents. If someone has evidence to the contrary on this send it my way and I'll retract this statement. But if what I just stated is the way things went down, then nobody can defend JoePa or the others involved. Nobody. And if you do you are inhuman and despicable.
    I am not a "JoePa supporter" but will answer your question. Had you bothered reading the links contained here http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/b...eh-report.html you'd have noted this, from the attorney who evaluated the Freeh evidence carefully:

if Mr. Paterno had reported the McQueary information to me (were I, like Schultz, the official in charge of the University Police), I would have told him to keep his mouth shut going forward and let the authorities handle the matter. Otherwise, Mr. Paterno could have tainted the investigation. And, because he was a potential trial witness (to McQueary’s prior consistent statements, see Federal Rule of Evidence 801(d)(1)(B) and Pennsylvania Rule of Evidence613(c)), any further statements or action by Mr. Paterno could have become cross-examination fodder for the defense. Any further action by Mr.Paterno could only have damaged the integrity of the investigation and any prosecution against Sandusky.
    The same point has been made by numerous others, and it is exactly right. Where Joe should have done more, in my view, was not going to Sandusky but following up with Schulz and Curley after it became clear nothing was happening. Same for McQueary.

For that matter, why are Second Mile and their staff and board members never mentioned? They had far more contact with Sandusky after his retirement than PSU did, it became Sandusky's full time job then, and they were aware of the incidents. Their board was filled with prominent businesspeople, politicians and others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast