Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

One more reason for optimism

When was the last time an Iowa football team had low expectations, and failed to excede them? Kirk is an underdog coach, with an underdog mentality and that has proven, in the past to be his greatest X-man power.

If we can weather the early storms and stay healthy on the D-line (which I agree are HUGE ifs) I think there is a chance that this team takes down some giants by the end of the season, Nate Chandler style.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1

Re: One more reason for optimism

Last year
    Really, Rick and the offensive line knew we were going to get it done. Nothing was going to stop us. You could’ve put 24 players out on defense and we were going to somehow get it done.”-DJK-

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 57/9
    Given: 63/29

Not to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but.....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/3

So your 'one more reason to be optimistic' ...is that the hawks are an underdog team heading in?

Major letdown thread

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 108/16
    Given: 68/22

Set the bar low enough, and it's easy to 'exceed expectations'.. That is little comfort.

Generally speaking, my year-to-year expectations for Iowa Football are pretty typically like this:

8-4: I'm satisfied
    9-3 or better: I'm thrilled
    7-5 or worse: Not so happy

I realize 8-4 or better won't happen every single year, but on the other hand, there are also years the team should do better than that.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by 1977Hawkeye View Post
    Set the bar low enough, and it's easy to 'exceed expectations'.. That is little comfort.

Generally speaking, my year-to-year expectations for Iowa Football are pretty typically like this:

I realize 8-4 or better won't happen every single year, but on the other hand, there are also years the team should do better than that.
    Agree 100% with this.

Since we can't control losing the occasional game to ISUck or another BCS level oppoenent, I am most concerned with our conference record. Anything under .500 is not acceptable. Ever.
    Someday, I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place, where we want to go,
    And we'll walk in the sun.
    But till then Tramps Like Us
    Baby we were Born to Run!

You can't imply anything to morons - Ahmet Ertegun.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0

I am always optimistic going into the season.

Regardless of new faces and loss of talent from last year, it is not too unrealistic to predict an undefeated Hawkeye team going into East Lansing. Unless losing to NIU, ISU, or Minnesota at home is seen as something that shoud be anticipated. Dreaded maybe, based on previous years' let downs, but not anticipated.

MSU will be the big test and IF the Hawks are unbeaten at that point, I will be optimistic again.

After that the season sets up very well leading up to the last two games. Lose one or two of the first five games, and my optimism will shrink.

The Hawks will probably lose one or two that they shouldn't and win one or two where they are underdogs, but why not be optimistic now?

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Clifking View Post
    When was the last time an Iowa football team had low expectations, and failed to excede them?
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....last year?

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by 1977Hawkeye View Post

I agree with this also.

Thumbs Up/Down

Last year, several people, including Kirk Herbstriet picked Iowa to be in the big ten championship game. I agree about 2007. That was a low point. I definitely had selective forgetting about that year. Generally though, Iowa has performed well in the underdog role, and I think it's a place they like to be.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 33/18
    Given: 3/1

I realisticly 9-3 or better. That is if we beat teams that we should beat. I dont see a reason why we should lose to anyone but Mich, Mich st. nd NEB. But there is a down side. We would be known as the worst 8/9 win team in the country for this kinda schedual.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by BergHawk7 View Post
    I realisticly 9-3 or better. That is if we beat teams that we should beat. I dont see a reason why we should lose to anyone but Mich, Mich st. nd NEB. But there is a down side. We would be known as the worst 8/9 win team in the country for this kinda schedual.
    You really think that this team will be good enough to win every singly game that it *should* win? Has that ever happened in Kirk's tenure? There is not one single season in the last 10 where Iowa didn't lose at least one game that it *should* have won, even the really good Iowa teams.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 94/35
    Given: 18/2

Quote Originally Posted by DaCoach View Post
    You really think that this team will be good enough to win every singly game that it *should* win? Has that ever happened in Kirk's tenure? There is not one single season in the last 10 where Iowa didn't lose at least one game that it *should* have won, even the really good Iowa teams.
    But they also usually tend to beat a team they are not supposed to beat too.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 124/118
    Given: 18/24

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeFever View Post
    I am always optimistic going into the season.

Regardless of new faces and loss of talent from last year, it is not too unrealistic to predict an undefeated Hawkeye team going into East Lansing. Unless losing to NIU, ISU, or Minnesota at home is seen as something that shoud be anticipated. Dreaded maybe, based on previous years' let downs, but not anticipated.

MSU will be the big test and IF the Hawks are unbeaten at that point, I will be optimistic again.

After that the season sets up very well leading up to the last two games. Lose one or two of the first five games, and my optimism will shrink.

The Hawks will probably lose one or two that they shouldn't and win one or two where they are underdogs, but why not be optimistic now?
    Not sure about NIU, but I worry about how many--and who--ISU and Minnesota return this year. Not sure our DL and D can "stay" with ISU, and Minnesota returns a lot of guys, and a Marqueis Gray could give our D nightmares, provided he keeps the ball on the ground. If he goes to the air, our chances get better, butr COULD get worse if he scrambles to buy time vs. scrambles for yards.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 372/100
    Given: 804/15

I watched the Pitt game last night on BTN. My reason for optimism is the absence of Keefe.
    I am now ThunderHawk, Inc. I am a Corporate SuperPerson(TM). I am immortal, my liability is limited, and I own the government. Just do what I say and nobody gets hurt.

@thunderhawk33

www.14ers.com

http://www.aecf.org/MajorInitiatives/KIDSCOUNT.aspx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast