Iowa 1958 National Champion

I never knew the whole story on this, interesting that racial segregation was a factor:

According to two of the four major polling organizations, the AP and the UPI, the 1958 LSU team (11-0 record) were granted the title of National Champions prior to bowl games and the end of the season. However, according to the Football Writers Association of America, which was the most well recognized and respected college football Association of the time and voted AFTER the Bowl Games, in 1958 the title went the University of Iowa Hawkeyes (8-1-1) who won the ROSE BOWL 38-12 against California that year. The Hawkeyes were awarded the Grantland Rice Award National Title Trophy following the 1958 season.

The NCAA recognizes four voting authorities from 1954 to present day. The NCAA recognizes both LSU and Iowa as "National Champions" from 1958. Partly because Iowa played a much more difficult "integrated"(black and white athletes) schedule, due in part the fact that LSU refused to schedule or play against black athletes due to still being racist bigots that year. Further, there have been many years when conflicting National Champions were named by differing organizations prior to the Championship Bowl Game including years where Undefeated teams were not name National Champions in favor of other teams who played a more difficult schedule and had 1 loss, specifically during the 1950's and the 1960's.

HN Legend

Re: Iowa 1958 National Champion

Wow i did not know that. Thanks for the info. So we as Iowa fans can say that we were national champs in 1958 and 1921.. Am i correct on that?

Also, i dont mean to rob your thread but I have a question for the mods. How long until us Android users can post new threads using the hawkeyenation app? Its sucks sometime only being able to respond to others. Other than that, great App! thanks.

I didn't know about 1921 - WTF did we have to turn down a Rose Bowl invite?

Iowa went 7-0 and won the Big Ten championship. The Hawkeyes were invited to play California Golden Bears football in the 1922 Rose Bowl, but the Big Ten forced Iowa to turn down the invitation. Aubrey Devine, Duke Slater and Gordon Locke were named All-America, and Devine, Slater, Locke, Lester Belding, center John Heldt, guard Chester Mead and end Max Kadesky were named All-Big Ten. Iowa was named the 1921 national champion by Parke H. Davis, a selector who is recognized by the NCAA.

Does any one know why the Big Ten asked Iowa to turn down the 1922 Rose Bowl???

Holy crap. I didn't know about 1921. Why were we forced to not accept the 1921 invitation?

I knew generally about '58 though I'm starting to feel differently about it.
    Iowa will win the B1G next year. - Me (04-18-2012)

Banned

This explains why Iowa turned down the 1921 Rose Bowl.

The Hawkeyes were forced to turn down an invitation to play the University of California in the Rose Bowl. The Board in Control opposed postseason competition and a Big Ten ruling prevented it.
    100+ Years of Iowa Football

Meh. If a team can be named “National Champs” by any rogue organization or Tom, Dick, and Harry, then DoNU would have 11 of them, but we only have 5.

HN Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 74Hunter View Post
    Meh. If a team can be named “National Champs” by any rogue organization or Tom, Dick, and Harry, then DoNU would have 11 of them, but we only have 5.
    But the Football Writers Association of America wasn't any Tom, Dick or Harry organization back then. Just like now you have the BCS and AP recognize national champs and it was the FWAA and AP back in 1958.