Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    In college basketball at the highest level, I think in-game coaching is tremendously overrated. In fact, in my mind it is irrelevant. Here is what matters:

    1. Recruiting 75%
    2. Ability to relate to and motivate players 20%
    3. In-game coaching (Xs and Os) 5%

    There is no doubt in my mind Fran is excellent at #2 and #3. The jury is still out on #1 - way too early to tell.

    Without horses, there is no horse race. We need more horses.

  2. #2

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    Recruiting is obviously number one but to say in game coaching is irrelevant is completely ignorant.

  3. #3
    GoHawks24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dez Moyne Ez
    Posts
    3,107

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    I agree that recruiting is #1, but you're not giving in-game coaching enough credit, at all.

  4. #4

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    rick barnes, scott drew, calipari beg to differ

  5. #5

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    This might be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here.

  6. #6
    GoHawks24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dez Moyne Ez
    Posts
    3,107

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan33 View Post
    This might be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here.
    It's pretty ridiculous, but there's been much worse, to be honest. See: "We need to hire somebody from Nebraska's staff as DC" thread.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Hawkeye land
    Posts
    3,831

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    5% is a better reflection of how much time they spend actually coaching a game.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

  8. #8

    Re:College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    I would say 60%, 20%, 20% is more accurate. I think in game coaching is much more important in football.

    If you have 1 and 2 in basketball, you are going to win a lot of games.

  9. #9
    MNHawkeyeFreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Just visiting....
    Posts
    12,966

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    This thread must be the "more" of tickets and more.
    2013 Female HN Poster of the Year

    "If we make a bowl game I will personally take Minnesota Hawkeye Freak out for a nice steak dinner, and then never call her again." Stanzi 4-8-2013...Still waiting Stanzi...


  10. #10

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    Quote Originally Posted by ChosenChildren View Post
    In college basketball at the highest level, I think in-game coaching is tremendously overrated. In fact, in my mind it is irrelevant. Here is what matters:

    1. Recruiting 75%
    2. Ability to relate to and motivate players 20%
    3. In-game coaching (Xs and Os) 5%

    There is no doubt in my mind Fran is excellent at #2 and #3. The jury is still out on #1 - way too early to tell.

    Without horses, there is no horse race. We need more horses.
    +1. I totally agree. Very unlike football when its like 30% recruit 10% motivation, 20% player developement over 5 yrs, 40% in-game coaching,game planning

  11. #11

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    I think in-game coaching is close to irrelevant. Once you are at the game, there is so much you can do and buttons you can push. What is more relevant is the out-of-game coaching. How you run practice, what you get out of practice, your scouting and gameplanning ability. Good coaches have their teams as prepared as possible to play.

    I'll agree, however, recruiting is the biggest part of the puzzle. All the great practice, gameplanning doesn't mean anything is the other teams players are considerably better than yours.

    Football is a game where scheming, fundamentals, discipline, ect... can neutralize talent difference. Basketball is not, generally the more talented team wins. Lick actually tried to play a style of basketball that neutralizes talent difference (long possessions to shorten the game, half-court game, 3-point shooting), but Fran wants to play a wide-open, up-temp game. You need the horses to win with that style of ball.

  12. #12
    ajbrand33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    435

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    If talent level and recruiting are all that matter, how do you explain March Madness?

  13. #13

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    Quote Originally Posted by drew003 View Post
    I think in-game coaching is close to irrelevant. Once you are at the game, there is so much you can do and buttons you can push. What is more relevant is the out-of-game coaching. How you run practice, what you get out of practice, your scouting and gameplanning ability. Good coaches have their teams as prepared as possible to play.

    I'll agree, however, recruiting is the biggest part of the puzzle. All the great practice, gameplanning doesn't mean anything is the other teams players are considerably better than yours.

    Football is a game where scheming, fundamentals, discipline, ect... can neutralize talent difference. Basketball is not, generally the more talented team wins. Lick actually tried to play a style of basketball that neutralizes talent difference (long possessions to shorten the game, half-court game, 3-point shooting), but Fran wants to play a wide-open, up-temp game. You need the horses to win with that style of ball.
    The same goes for basketball. We see it every year in the NCAA tournament.

    Recruiting is a huge, huge part of a team's success. But coaching makes a huge difference. Look at guys like Rick Barnes, for all the talent he's brought through Austin they have one final four appearance to show for it and each year there are only a handful of games at most where they are not the most talented team.

  14. #14
    burky247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Closer than you think
    Posts
    3,475

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan33 View Post
    This might be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen on here.
    Ostrich
    You're in the Danger Zone!

  15. #15

    Re: College BB: Game Coaching does not matter

    I posted this exact same thing on a different forum...

    http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/b...tml#post636070

    So I agree with your ranking of the three, although your percentage distribution is too dramatic. And I disagree on your comments about Fran. In fact, I would say the opposite. He has proven he can recruit, some might dispute this, but the class he has right now is impressive for a mediocre program. He hasn't proven he can coach well in game, the team doesn't do anything strategically. And to address #2, the team looks flat a lot of the time. So I actually think he has proven he can recruit, and not the other two.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in