Thread: Muster One Up

Banned
    riding down Niagara Falls in the barrels of your skull
    Blog Entries

Muster One Up

The more I think about gas passing deflection the more odd it seems. Not only is it out of character for Kirk, it's out of place in a press conference.

I'm not willing to blame it entirely on arrogance as some have suggested, yet it does have
    a degree of that. When all is said and done it's nothing serious but was immature and doesn't reflect well on the University.

Let's leave the fart jokes on the elementary school playground where they belong.

Re: Muster One Up

My guess is he'd probably like to take a mulligan on that one.

It's probably the most embarrassing thing KF has done.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneTwill View Post
    It's probably the most embarrassing thing KF has done.
    I think he's feeling the pressure, no pun intended.

The irony of a regular HN poster coming out AGAINST "elementary school playground" humor makes me laugh, as I think you would need a pretty high tolerance level for such things around here...

As far as Kirk's comments go, I would just as soon he left the flatulence humor out of it...the fact is, if you boil down his position to its very essence, he is being paid very handsomely to be a big part of the public face of the university. I think Kirk of all people is well aware of that...he'd probably take it back if he could.

That said, I don't think I'd sweat it to much. On the "you've brought shame to this university!!!" scale, where 1 is being caught mouthing a bad word to the refs in a national televised game and 10 is allowing a child sex predator to hang around your facilities, mentioning farts in an impromptu press conference is about as close to a "1" as you can get (in my book, at least).

I really believe Kirk has a great deal of contempt for the media - though he thankfully exhibits his contempt in a very polite fashion. It's just part of the package and doesn't really bother me...putting myself in his shoes, I could see myself being the same way (though I doubt I could keep up the polite facade quite as well). 2 of Kirk's biggest head coaching mentors are both notorious for having no love for the press (Hayden and Belicheck), so it really should be no surprise that the acorn didn't fall too far from the tree on this particular subject.

Lastly, in 13 years at the helm, this is only the 2nd actual press "incident" (if you can even call it that) I can recall. The only other time I recall KF being less than professional was around 04 or 05 he briefly laid into Phil Haddy during a post-game presser. I don't think Haddy had even done anything wrong, he was just an underling in the wrong spot at the wrong time. But that whole thing came & went...I've heard Kirk numerous times since be very complimentary of Haddy.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'm certainly not against low brow humor but I do understand that there is a time and place for everything. There is a world of difference between joking around on a message board and bathroom humor that catches the national eye. I represent no one but an online persona.

I am pretty much in agreement with the remainder of your points, the contempt for the media especially.

The fact that he went there sort of cracks me up in the grade school sense...then again, it was a bit demeaning to the reporters present, and a frustrated response. I can certainly give people a pass on such things because we all do it...the emotional replies...and I guess the flatulence too

Quote Originally Posted by FalseMirage View Post
    I'm certainly not against low brow humor but I do understand that there is a time and place for everything. There is a world of difference between joking around on a message board and bathroom humor that catches the national eye. I represent no one but an online persona.

I am pretty much in agreement with the remainder of your points, the contempt for the media especially.
    Agreed. I was just giving you a hard time, just so you know...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 528646 View Post
    Agreed. I was just giving you a hard time, just so you know...
    It's all good.

Maybe he just was under a lot pressure and couldn't concentrate. He could have used some of this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDJGq2CVSr8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
    2013 Female HN Poster of the Year

"If we make a bowl game I will personally take Minnesota Hawkeye Freak out for a nice steak dinner, and then never call her again." Stanzi 4-8-2013...Still waiting Stanzi...

Quote Originally Posted by MNHawkeyeFreak View Post
    Maybe he just was under a lot pressure and couldn't concentrate. He could have used some of this.

Do you need a "gut feeling" to "muster one up"?