Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
  1. #1

    Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Adopt the Fair Tax Plan

    "The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither. The society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both." Milton Friedman

  2. #2
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbank, IA
    Posts
    10,846

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Baseball does not belong being played in the early spring. The NCAA needs to go to wooden bats and play later into the summer. By changing to wooden bats it eliminates the need for all these summer leagues and makes them more ready to compete in the minor leagues. If this happened I think you would see schools in the B1G take off and be more competitive.

  3. #3

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    Baseball does not belong being played in the early spring. The NCAA needs to go to wooden bats and play later into the summer. By changing to wooden bats it eliminates the need for all these summer leagues and makes them more ready to compete in the minor leagues. If this happened I think you would see schools in the B1G take off and be more competitive.
    The Big 10 going to summer by themselves is not a good idea. They are just going to concede each year that no one is going to the CWS. At least there is a carrot that it is possible to get there for the kids. They have had some teams that have been very close to getting there in the past 10 years, things just didn't fall there way.

    The NCAA playing in the summer is not going to help the players be ready for minor league baseball more, they will be less ready because they will get to play about 1/2 the amount of games not having a summer league schedule. The bats already function like wooden bats (without the hassle of breaking them).

  4. #4

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    One reason the Big Ten will go to summer ball, the BTN. Programming for the summer months. Look for more summer sports seasons; softball, tennis, golf.
    Adopt the Fair Tax Plan

    "The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither. The society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both." Milton Friedman

  5. #5
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbank, IA
    Posts
    10,846

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkI101 View Post
    The NCAA playing in the summer is not going to help the players be ready for minor league baseball more, they will be less ready because they will get to play about 1/2 the amount of games not having a summer league schedule. The bats already function like wooden bats (without the hassle of breaking them).
    I disagree, the ball comes off the bat way different off metal than it does wood. The fact that High School & College use metal bats is the reason why they need these summer leagues and low minors. Until they play in these leagues they do not have a sure way to evaluate hitters. If the NCAA went to wooden bats I think there would be more interest in college baseball and they could put the season further into the summer.

    Quote Originally Posted by eyekwah View Post
    One reason the Big Ten will go to summer ball, the BTN. Programming for the summer months. Look for more summer sports seasons; softball, tennis, golf.
    I agree, the BTN desperately needs summer programming. Screw the college WS, these midwest teams are not competing at that level anyway. The B1G could really set themselves apart from the rest of college baseball by doing this.

  6. #6

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Couple things to consider:

    First regarding the bats, since the NCAA implemented the BBCOR bats last year the home runs dropped nearly 50%. That is a huge number. So the bats aren't nearly as hot as they used to be and hit a lot more like wood, not saying exactly but a lot closer. Main difference being you don't snap it if you hit it under the label. Also keep in mind the $$ involved with these bats. The manufacturers use the college teams to market these bats to the high schoolers and little leagues accross the country. The bat companies I'm sure have their hand in it some way or another, whether giving $$ to the NCAA or something. They don't want to go to wood because they can't market the wood to the younger kids unless all the high schools and little leagues go to wood. When seeing a CWS team using a model of metal, the sales skyrocket. Rawlings never hardly sold a metal bat until S. Carolina used them and won it, now they have sold a ton of that model.

    About the schedule, one thing to keep in mind is the MLB draft is early June. They want these guys in their system right after the draft. If the colleges played summer ball, the kids would either A) have to leave school to sign or B) have to wait all the way till the following year to play pro ball. The MLB teams won't go for this, no way they want their future investment playing college ball and risking injury. It is the same reason you see Iowa High School players that have gotten drafted high not play their Senior Season of High School, because their agent won't let them so they don't risk injury before signing and also the team that drafted them wants them in the minors asap if they are paying them.
    Just not really a perfect system. About the only thing I can think of is changing the MLB draft to postseason like all the other sports. I don't believe any other major sports have their draft during the middle of their actual season. Change the MLB draft to November, then have them signed and ready by spring training???

    Just my two cents.

  7. #7
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbank, IA
    Posts
    10,846

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    bogey, you will never convince me about the bat thing. I could care less how close they are to wood, make them play with wooden bats.

    But the draft can stay where it is. MLB is taking very little to no risk drafting college players and letting them continue to play college ball, IF they are using wooden bats. When MLB drafts players after they sign them they usually go play rookie ball anyway. The B1G going to wooden bats and scheduling more games in the summer would almost make them like a minor league.

  8. #8

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    bogey, you will never convince me about the bat thing. I could care less how close they are to wood, make them play with wooden bats.

    But the draft can stay where it is. MLB is taking very little to no risk drafting college players and letting them continue to play college ball, IF they are using wooden bats. When MLB drafts players after they sign them they usually go play rookie ball anyway. The B1G going to wooden bats and scheduling more games in the summer would almost make them like a minor league.

    Not trying to convince you of anything. Just stating the facts, 50% drop is pretty dramatic.

    So are you stating that the bats is the risk the MLB teams have right now of a draftee playing college ball? I remember Tyler Colvin getting a punctured lung by a wood bat 2 years ago. Name any employer who will pay a person a $1-2 million but tell them to go ahead and work somewhere else for awhile? Not going to happen. Rookie ball is still playing for the team that drafted you, just a low level. Many do go right to A ball to though.

    I'm in no way against wood bats, I sell them myself. They just aren't the cause of really many issues right now.

    Another thought, if guys have already signed, but are still playing college ball they really can't be considered an amateur anymore right? Not to mention class is done. Just not much "student" in the student athlete if no class and you've already signed.

  9. #9

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    bogey, you will never convince me about the bat thing. I could care less how close they are to wood, make them play with wooden bats.

    But the draft can stay where it is. MLB is taking very little to no risk drafting college players and letting them continue to play college ball, IF they are using wooden bats. When MLB drafts players after they sign them they usually go play rookie ball anyway. The B1G going to wooden bats and scheduling more games in the summer would almost make them like a minor league.
    That costs money that the league doesn't have from what I understand.


  10. #10
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nantucket
    Posts
    2,177

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    bogey, you will never convince me about the bat thing. I could care less how close they are to wood, make them play with wooden bats.

    But the draft can stay where it is. MLB is taking very little to no risk drafting college players and letting them continue to play college ball, IF they are using wooden bats. When MLB drafts players after they sign them they usually go play rookie ball anyway. The B1G going to wooden bats and scheduling more games in the summer would almost make them like a minor league.
    The new bats are made so they have the same "pop", or ball exit speed as the best wooden bat that is made. Serious question, why do you think should they play with wood?

  11. #11
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbank, IA
    Posts
    10,846

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by bogeyman View Post
    Not trying to convince you of anything. Just stating the facts, 50% drop is pretty dramatic.

    So are you stating that the bats is the risk the MLB teams have right now of a draftee playing college ball? I remember Tyler Colvin getting a punctured lung by a wood bat 2 years ago. Name any employer who will pay a person a $1-2 million but tell them to go ahead and work somewhere else for awhile? Not going to happen. Rookie ball is still playing for the team that drafted you, just a low level. Many do go right to A ball to though.
    That was a fluke, but I will say I have seen more shattered bats over the past couple of years than ever in history and hopefully that is getting fixed. But a ball hit off a wooden bat versus a metal bat is completely different and can be dangerous. People have died as a result of a batted ball. This can be a whole topic by itself.

    Bottom line is if B1G is going to look at changing their schedule to play more games in the summer then they need to make themselves more of a minor league and this includes to looking at using wooden bats for conference games. OOC games they should still use the metal bats as it puts them at a competitive disadvantage not using them. Not many players are getting drafted very high out of the B1G right now and those that do would have a decision to make to either finish the season at their school or sign right away and go to the minors. These players that are getting drafted in the later rounds most MLB teams probably will not mind waiting to sign them as they do not have much invested.

  12. #12

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    That was a fluke, but I will say I have seen more shattered bats over the past couple of years than ever in history and hopefully that is getting fixed. But a ball hit off a wooden bat versus a metal bat is completely different and can be dangerous. People have died as a result of a batted ball. This can be a whole topic by itself.

    Bottom line is if B1G is going to look at changing their schedule to play more games in the summer then they need to make themselves more of a minor league and this includes to looking at using wooden bats for conference games. OOC games they should still use the metal bats as it puts them at a competitive disadvantage not using them. Not many players are getting drafted very high out of the B1G right now and those that do would have a decision to make to either finish the season at their school or sign right away and go to the minors. These players that are getting drafted in the later rounds most MLB teams probably will not mind waiting to sign them as they do not have much invested.

    50% is not a fluke. 10-15% would be a fluke. I coach baseball, I have seen guys hit with the new vs. the old. Just trust me, the 50% is a legit sign the bats are far less explosive. That and my players hate the new ones because they have no pop.
    Again though, MLB teams aren't concerned with this. They are concerned with their new draft pick having a coach that throws a guy 155 pitches or something dumb.

  13. #13
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbank, IA
    Posts
    10,846

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    No the injury to Colvin was a fluke. I believe you on the numbers of the new metal bats but for me it still is not good enough. If they are more comparable to wooden bats then just make the switch and be done with it. You will always have metal bats for softball and that is where they belong.

  14. #14
    HN Legend tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    13,734
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    I disagree, the ball comes off the bat way different off metal than it does wood. The fact that High School & College use metal bats is the reason why they need these summer leagues and low minors. Until they play in these leagues they do not have a sure way to evaluate hitters. If the NCAA went to wooden bats I think there would be more interest in college baseball and they could put the season further into the summer.



    I agree, the BTN desperately needs summer programming. Screw the college WS, these midwest teams are not competing at that level anyway. The B1G could really set themselves apart from the rest of college baseball by doing this.
    The new BBCOR bats actually do hit an awful lot like wood. Not exactly, but pretty damn close.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

    Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

  15. #15
    HN Legend tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    13,734
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Big Ten Summer Baseball - Being Studied

    Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    No the injury to Colvin was a fluke. I believe you on the numbers of the new metal bats but for me it still is not good enough. If they are more comparable to wooden bats then just make the switch and be done with it. You will always have metal bats for softball and that is where they belong.
    Bat companies won't likely go along with college switching to wood. There simply isn't enough wood to go around to cover that.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

    Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •