Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1

    What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    The people down here have been right about a lot of things. They are buying Brando's claim about the top four teams in the polls playing in a seeded tournament.

    I keep telling them that I don't see Delaney or Scott going for that deal. But they are sticking to their guns.

    Are you guys hearing anything different?

  2. #2

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    From what I've heard it sounding like it is going to happen and Deleney/Scott are the main reason why. Speculation is that they finally realized it was going to eventually happen anyways so they've been proactive in helping it. So it'll be on their terms and this way they can preserve the rose bowl tie ins.

  3. #3
    HN Legend vegashawki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    City of Hookers and Blow
    Posts
    2,041

    Re:What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    I think top 8 teams should get the nod. Also eliminate preseason rankings, wait til like week 8 til polls come out. The **** where ND and other **** teams being ranked early without proving themselves should end too.

  4. #4

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegashawki View Post
    I think top 8 teams should get the nod. Also eliminate preseason rankings, wait til like week 8 til polls come out. The **** where ND and other **** teams being ranked early without proving themselves should end too.
    I hear this alot, but how do you really do that, even if you don't officially vote on you still got every magazine and website in the nation making their own rankings each week. So I really don't know what difference this would make, the first week they come out it's just going to look very similiar to the unofficial rankings from the week before.

  5. #5

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    You have to have rankings so the networks can promote #3 vs #5 matchups early in the season.

  6. #6
    HN Legend vegashawki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    City of Hookers and Blow
    Posts
    2,041

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhitUp View Post
    I hear this alot, but how do you really do that, even if you don't officially vote on you still got every magazine and website in the nation making their own rankings each week. So I really don't know what difference this would make, the first week they come out it's just going to look very similiar to the unofficial rankings from the week before.
    There is just no need for it. You have 2 loss teams in the top 25 higher ranked above undefeated teams due to lossing to ranked teams... With the turnover year in and year out how the f can you rank college teams prior to the start of season?! I ask how can they? Its stupid and gives the big name programs fans reasons to be butt holes. I just think if they do playoff bracket then let the computers figure it out, don't let it be affected by "experts" opinions.

  7. #7
    HN Legend vegashawki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    City of Hookers and Blow
    Posts
    2,041

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackandGold81 View Post
    You have to have rankings so the networks can promote #3 vs #5 matchups early in the season.
    100% correct

  8. #8
    Graduate TritonHawkeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    +41.6583496, -91.5507242
    Posts
    1,469

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegashawki View Post
    I think top 8 teams should get the nod. Also eliminate preseason rankings, wait til like week 8 til polls come out. The **** where ND and other **** teams being ranked early without proving themselves should end too.
    I think starting with a 4 team tournament is fine. If TV market share drastically increases for these games while the Bowls remains level, you might then see more teams added.

    I suspect if a 4 team series is successful we will at some point get to 8 or even 16.

  9. #9

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegashawki View Post
    There is just no need for it. You have 2 loss teams in the top 25 higher ranked above undefeated teams due to lossing to ranked teams... With the turnover year in and year out how the f can you rank college teams prior to the start of season?! I ask how can they? Its stupid and gives the big name programs fans reasons to be butt holes. I just think if they do playoff bracket then let the computers figure it out, don't let it be affected by "experts" opinions.
    I totally agree with your point, but my point is their still going to be rankings if their official or not.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    13,692

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Even if you got rid of the offical polls ESPN would just create some sort of "power" ranking for promotional purposes which would be even worse because instead of idiot sports writers determining who's got the inside run for a NC you have the idiots at ESPN doing it, and we all know they are completely unbiased.

  11. #11
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbank, IA
    Posts
    10,837

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    No way they going to have a 8 team playoff as it would ruin the bowl system. There is to much money and communities involved to tear the bowl system up. The only playoff system that makes any sense and keep the bowl system intact would be a plus 1.

  12. #12

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    No way they going to have a 8 team playoff as it would ruin the bowl system. There is to much money and communities involved to tear the bowl system up. The only playoff system that makes any sense and keep the bowl system intact would be a plus 1.
    This

    You go to an 8 teamer and if you think the other bowls feel meaningless now. An 8 teamer would hurt Iowa's bottom line most years.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Banned
    Posts
    13,692

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    8 teams doesn't necesarily ruin the bowl season. The bowl season is already 3 weeks long. You have the first round near or before Xmas, you have the "final four" on new years day, and the NC game on the Januray 7th or so (the same time it is now).

    All the other bowls are free to go back to thier previous historic conference alignments with each making thier own rules for selecting teams if thier top choices get gobbled up with the NC game.

  14. #14

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Quote Originally Posted by vegashawki View Post
    I think top 8 teams should get the nod. Also eliminate preseason rankings, wait til like week 8 til polls come out. The **** where ND and other **** teams being ranked early without proving themselves should end too.
    This is already done with the Harris poll. And guess what? It looks almost identical to the AP and coach's poll that comes out in the preseason.

  15. #15

    Re: What are you guys hearing about BCS?

    Quote Originally Posted by WhitUp View Post
    I hear this alot, but how do you really do that, even if you don't officially vote on you still got every magazine and website in the nation making their own rankings each week. So I really don't know what difference this would make, the first week they come out it's just going to look very similiar to the unofficial rankings from the week before.
    Yes. Whoever creates the first poll is still going to say something like this:

    "Well LSU & Alabama are in the SEC, which is better than the Big XII. Therefore, LSU is #1, Bama is #2, and Oklahoma is #3".

    Or something like that. It won't matter any more what has actually happened on the field than it does today. The only thing that will change is what week these polls come out. If teams are overrated in week 1, they will lose and drop out of the picture anyway.

    That's the beauty of the NFL - there are no rankings, and the only thing that matters is your record when determining who plays in the post-season. The teams in the playoffs are there because they earned it in the regular season, and there are no politics involved in that. Nothing is decided by some homer that thinks that team A is better than team B because of the conference they play in, or because they think these two teams will draw better TV ratings, or any other arbitrary reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •