Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TV for NIU/Iowa

TV for NIU/Iowa

Matt's College Sports Media Blog: Week 1 Predictions for CFB

This is becoming a big conversation over on TOS. This Matt Sarz seems to be a guru when it comes to forecasting the TV schedules for college football and basketball. He believes that the NIU/Iowa game will not be televised and believes it will be an ESPN3 exclusive game. Since its technically a home game for NIU, the BTN can't pick it up, and it appears ESPN doesn't want to pick it up to put on their broadcast network. I can't fathom having to watch an Iowa game on a computer. I hope things change before the end of August but it looks kind of crappy as of now.
    ***Most successful person to leave Marshalltown, move to Norwalk via Ames and quote a line from The Big Lebowski in his signature 2010, 2011, and 2012 Award Winner***

I'm gonna go find a cash machine... - The Dude

This one is for you Vin/GoG/Scorp...

"If I leave here tomorrow
    Would you still remember me?
    For I must be traveling on, now
    'Cause there's too many places I've got to see"

Re: TV for NIU/Iowa

That would ******* suck having to watch the game on a computer.
    All time bowl wins: Ricky Stanzi: 3
    Iowa State: 3

I guess that means I should attend the game in person.

And I guess this would break Iowa's 10+ year streak of having every game televised. Not sure if you can claim ESPN3 is "televised".

I wonder if ESPN would allow Mediacom to carry it in Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by ICHawk24 View Post
    And I guess this would break Iowa's 10+ year streak of having every game televised. Not sure if you can claim ESPN3 is "televised".

Doubtful....they'll want to drive hits to their site.
    All time bowl wins: Ricky Stanzi: 3
    Iowa State: 3

Quote Originally Posted by spliff45 View Post
    Doubtful....they'll want to drive hits to their site.
    Exactly. This is the perfect game for ESPN to pull this stunt. It's not big enough to garner a national or regional audience, yet there is a passionate fan base with decent numbers that will want to watch the game. They will get tons of hits.
    ***Most successful person to leave Marshalltown, move to Norwalk via Ames and quote a line from The Big Lebowski in his signature 2010, 2011, and 2012 Award Winner***

This isn't a slight toward Iowa. Believe it or not last year Wiscy was in the very same situation. They played NIU at Soldier Field and they were ranked 8th at the time. The game was still an ESPN3 exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfromnorwalk View Post
    Matt's College Sports Media Blog: Week 1 Predictions for CFBThis is becoming a big conversation over on TOS. This Matt Sarz seems to be a guru when it comes to forecasting the TV schedules for college football and basketball. He believes that the NIU/Iowa game will not be televised and believes it will be an ESPN3 exclusive game. Since its technically a home game for NIU, the BTN can't pick it up, and it appears ESPN doesn't want to pick it up to put on their broadcast network. I can't fathom having to watch an Iowa game on a computer. I hope things change before the
    end of August but it looks kind of
    crappy as of now.
    I thought I saw on the schedules that Iowa is listed as the home team for that game.

Graduate

ESPN3 is available on xbox 360 and ps3 or if you have an HDMI cable you can run ESPN3 from your computer to the TV. All in all, ESPN3 is a pretty cool feature.

Quote Originally Posted by ICHawk24 View Post

There is precedence for ESPN to allow ESPN3 "exclusive" games to be televised locally. Wake Forest @ Syracuse was allowed on Time Warner cable systems in upstate New York last year on what was originally an ESPN3 exclusive. I would not be surprised if Mediacom 22 is allowed to broadcast the game.

On the other side, however, when Wisconsin played Northern Illinois last year in Soldier Field, it was an ESPN3 exclusive game.

Quote Originally Posted by TecmoSuperHawk View Post
    There is precedence for ESPN to allow ESPN3 "exclusive" games to be televised locally. Wake Forest @ Syracuse was allowed on Time Warner cable systems in upstate New York last year on what was originally an ESPN3 exclusive. I would not be surprised if Mediacom 22 is allowed to broadcast the game.
    I've also read that NIU is trying to work out a deal to have CSN Chicago show the game. However I think ESPN holds the rights so I'm not sure if they would give it up.

I prob better go to this one then.
    If you have a problem with one of my posts please contact ChrisABraden.

"...the program sucks, he is a terrible D1 coach, KF is delusional,.... Deanvogs

^^^He didnt mean it like that, thats only part of his quote......the best part^^^

3:40 2nd Iowa 4th & 13 at Neb30 Wienke punts. Touchback. Ball on Neb20.

I always watch away games at the Front Row and I'm pretty sure they will find a way to get the game on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkfromnorwalk View Post
    I've also read that NIU is trying to work out a deal to have CSN Chicago show the game. However I think ESPN holds the rights so I'm not sure if they would give it up.
    I also just read this on a NIU message board (yes they exist!). But I would be surprised if ESPN releases the game, although there is apparently one game per year NIU can air on CSN Chicago as part of their media agreement.

We'll see. I'll be at the game, but I always want to be able to tell my mom and other family members how they can watch the game. They are not exactly up to speed to watch ESPN3.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast