Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    326 Cedar Street Davenport, IA 52802
    Posts
    11,102
    Blog Entries
    13

    Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    The impression left is that Big Ten football programs sell the Rose Bowl as their ultimate goal because they know they aren't good enough to play for national championships very often.

    Now that I cover the Big Ten, that sentence will earn me some dirty looks in press boxes across the league.

    But I'm hardly alone in that opinion. In discussions with colleagues nationally over the years, the conclusion has been that hyping the Rose Bowl is the Big Ten's crutch against criticism for producing good but not championship results.

    Now, that crutch is about to be kicked away.
    Barfknecht: Bloom off the Rose for Big Ten teams - Omaha.com

    And I agree with him.

  2. #2

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    He can GFH.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    337

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    spoken like a guy following a team that just bounced into a new conference from a conference that was formed less than 20 years ago and has had members talk about leaving for the last five.

    Sorry if I'm not envious of Nebraska's idea of tradition.

  4. #4

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    I'm not sure I agree with the author's premise. Do Big10 teams state that their ultimate goal is the Rose Bowl?

    I'm sure the likes of Minnesota, NW, Illinois, and Indiana do. But I'd doubt that is what OSU, Mich, PSU, and Neb say is their ultimate goal.

    Is that different in the SEC? I doubt it. I don't see Vandy, Mississippi State, or Ole Miss claiming that it is national title or bust.

  5. #5

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    I guess I imagined all those damn oranges that Nebraska and Oklahoma used to buy and bring to games.

  6. #6
    hogeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,054

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    Kind of funny listening to an Omaha writer talk about lack of relevance in the past decade or so.

  7. #7

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    Quote Originally Posted by LG210 View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with the author's premise. Do Big10 teams state that their ultimate goal is the Rose Bowl?
    At media days in Chicago, the Rose Bowl is the primary talk when interviewing players about goals and such.

  8. #8

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    I have read a column of Lee's in the past that I liked,but I think he misses the boat here. Yes, the conference title is still very important to Big Ten schools,but the same is true in the SEC. Usually the only way you have a shot at the national title is to win your league. Now, this year, Bama did win the national title without winning their division,which is a real flaw in the system. Delany is doing the smart thing,which is to try to protect the second biggest game in college football,a game the Big Ten is in every year. The SEC has the national title game every year of late,it seems,as their biggest property. When you have lemons,you make lemonaide.
    There are many,many reasons for the SEC dominance over the last decade,and almost none of them are because they prioritize a national title over a conference title. Winning at all costs? Sure. No interest in academics? Absolutely. Cheating? Of course. Local talent? Yes. Oversigning? Yes. These are all reasons for success of the SEC. Until last year, winning the SEC conference title game has been the path to the National Title for every SEC participant in the national title game,so,that still remains the goal for these teams.

  9. #9
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    14,027
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    Quote Originally Posted by ICHawk24 View Post
    I guess I imagined all those damn oranges that Nebraska and Oklahoma used to buy and bring to games.
    You mean in the days before the BCS, when the national champion was determined by voters? Apples and oranges (no pun intended).

    *My own .02

    I'm not saying that this writer is wrong (he's not), but what difference does it make to Nebraska? If they think it's weird to not strive for national championships (it is), so what? Just because the other Big Ten schools are like that doesn't mean Nebraska has to be.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

    Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

  10. #10

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    At media days in Chicago, the Rose Bowl is the primary talk when interviewing players about goals and such.
    Right, but isn't that kind of "sports etiquette"?

    Maybe I am wrong on this, but don't all teams say that a conference championship is their goal, even if they have a legitimate shot at the national title?

  11. #11
    tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    14,027
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    Quote Originally Posted by JHHawk View Post
    I have read a column of Lee's in the past that I liked,but I think he misses the boat here. Yes, the conference title is still very important to Big Ten schools,but the same is true in the SEC. Usually the only way you have a shot at the national title is to win your league. Now, this year, Bama did win the national title without winning their division,which is a real flaw in the system. Delany is doing the smart thing,which is to try to protect the second biggest game in college football,a game the Big Ten is in every year. The SEC has the national title game every year of late,it seems,as their biggest property. When you have lemons,you make lemonaide.
    There are many,many reasons for the SEC dominance over the last decade,and almost none of them are because they prioritize a national title over a conference title. Winning at all costs? Sure. No interest in academics? Absolutely. Cheating? Of course. Local talent? Yes. Oversigning? Yes. These are all reasons for success of the SEC. Until last year, winning the SEC conference title game has been the path to the National Title for every SEC participant in the national title game,so,that still remains the goal for these teams.
    The Big Ten ISN'T doing the right thing by striving for the Rose Bowl. Not in this day and age. It's sad, but true.

    The Big Ten isn't just making lemonade out of lemons. They WANT the lemons, they don't settle for them. There's a big difference there.

    The local talent for the SEC is something they have no control over. But WHY do they oversign, cast aside academics, cheat in recruiting, etc.? I'll give you a hint: It sure as hell isn't so they can go to the Sugar Bowl.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

    Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

  12. #12
    hawkfan340's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,771

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    Quote Originally Posted by JHHawk View Post
    I have read a column of Lee's in the past that I liked,but I think he misses the boat here. Yes, the conference title is still very important to Big Ten schools,but the same is true in the SEC. Usually the only way you have a shot at the national title is to win your league. Now, this year, Bama did win the national title without winning their division,which is a real flaw in the system. Delany is doing the smart thing,which is to try to protect the second biggest game in college football,a game the Big Ten is in every year. The SEC has the national title game every year of late,it seems,as their biggest property. When you have lemons,you make lemonaide.
    There are many,many reasons for the SEC dominance over the last decade,and almost none of them are because they prioritize a national title over a conference title. Winning at all costs? Sure. No interest in academics? Absolutely. Cheating? Of course. Local talent? Yes. Oversigning? Yes. These are all reasons for success of the SEC. Until last year, winning the SEC conference title game has been the path to the National Title for every SEC participant in the national title game,so,that still remains the goal for these teams.

    [/THREAD]
    FIFY
    "You people need to grow up and learn some etiquette." -ThunderHawk, 11/3/2011

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbank, IA
    Posts
    10,877

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    I think Delany is smart trying to put the Rose Bowl on a pedestal and promote it as the "Grand Daddy" of bowl games. I do not see the B1G ever competing on a level playing field with the SEC. I think they should play these bowl games with the current conference affiliations and then play the BCS game (as a plus 1). You put all the current BCS games on New Years Day (like they are supposed to be), push all of the other bowls before NYD, and play the BCS NC game 2 weeks later. I think this would protect the meaning of the regular season, the bowl system, and make them all a crapload of money.

  14. #14

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    Nothing like living in the past. Nebraska's days of playing a bunch of stiffs and Oklahoma or Texas are gone. The Rose Bowl is still relevant because it means a conference championship. Nebraska is a long ways from even doing that, let alone another National Championship. Who says a NC is off the table for teams in the Big Ten, because he writes it doesn't mean it's so. I hate the arrogance of Nebraska and its fans. Is it too late to revoke their membership in the Big Ten?

  15. #15
    hogeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,054

    Re: Husker Writer: Delany uses Rose Bowl as crutch

    Quote Originally Posted by LG210 View Post
    Right, but isn't that kind of "sports etiquette"?

    Maybe I am wrong on this, but don't all teams say that a conference championship is their goal, even if they have a legitimate shot at the national title?
    Kind of, the B10 is wrongfully being painted in this article because of its history with the Rose Bowl. I don't think it is fair that this writer has created a false premise based off of the fact that the B10 has always valued history and its tie to the Rose Bowl.

    You're going to tell me that there is any team in the B10 since the inception of the BCS that wouldn't have taken a NC over a Rose appearance? That's the most ridiculous notion I've heard.

    Yes, we've been lacking in BCS NC game as a conference. No one is disputing that, but it's completely ridiculous to confound a loyal respect of the B10 and the history of the Rose Bowl with some sort of passive satisfaction over being just second best.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in