Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Texas QB picks Hawkeyes

Texas QB picks the Hawkeyes | TheGazette

Saw this on the gazette. Sorry if article was already posted. From article:

Shimonek, who started for Mildred (a Class 2A school) as a sophomore and also started several games as a freshman, is considered as a “pro-style” quarterback, which fits his 6-4, 205-pound frame. Since Iowa started showing serious interest, Shimonek started research on the Hawkeyes and likes Davis’ offense.

“Coach Davis is a real good guy and a good coach, and obviously he’s got a good track record,” Shimonek told HR.com. “Personally, I really like the pro-style offense that they run and the fact they are balanced offensively. Plus they’ve always got those 300-pound linemen. I’m definitely not going to complain about that.”

Shimonek has family in the Des Moines area and his mom, Tresa, also is from Iowa.

Re: Texas QB picks Hawkeyes

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeHypnosis View Post
    ...is considered as a “pro-style” quarterback, which fits his 6-4, 205-pound frame. Since Iowa started showing serious interest, Shimonek started research on the Hawkeyes and likes Davis’ offense.
    Pro-style but on that highlight video he's in the shotgun for every play.

Quote Originally Posted by PJHawk View Post
    Pro-style but on that highlight video he's in the shotgun for every play.
    Vandy and Drew Tate took most of their high school snaps from the gun.

It is Texas, he has probably been doing 7 on 7 drills since he was baby, he will figure it out no matter what style of offense.
    "The truth is like rain it really doesn't care who it lands on."--Eddie Griffin
    "People say I have an agenda......naah, just opinions."--Scott Van Pelt

Graduate
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeHypnosis View Post
    Texas QB picks the Hawkeyes | TheGazette

Since Iowa started showing serious interest, Shimonek started research on the Hawkeyes and likes Davis’ offense.

“Coach Davis is a real good guy and a good coach, and obviously he’s got a good track record,” Shimonek told HR.com. “Personally, I really like the pro-style offense that they run and the fact they are balanced offensively. Plus they’ve always got those 300-pound linemen. I’m definitely not going to complain about that.”

Shimonek has family in the Des Moines area and his mom, Tresa, also is from Iowa.
    There are some other Iowa connections but this is where the Davis hire / Texas background will pay off. Hayden used to milk that, too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdrummer1 View Post
    Tom Brady takes most his snaps from the gun.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBTT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkdrummer1 View Post
    Tom Brady takes most his snaps from the gun.
    Yeah but he's got dreamy eyes.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
    Yeah but he's got dreamy eyes.
    He can't compete with little Freddy. He's the king of cuteness.

I'm excited to see this guys progression and stats his senior year. Right now just based of of responses it seems people are really torn on this kid. I myself am not really sold on his video however I'm not the coaches or his recruiter and I'm assuming they see something I don't.
    ***Most successful person to leave Marshalltown, move to Norwalk via Ames and quote a line from The Big Lebowski in his signature 2010, 2011, and 2012 Award Winner***

I'm gonna go find a cash machine... - The Dude

This one is for you Vin/GoG/Scorp...

"If I leave here tomorrow
    Would you still remember me?
    For I must be traveling on, now
    'Cause there's too many places I've got to see"

I'm not that excited about this guy... Hope he pans out and proves me wrong!!

I'm excited for several reasons:

1. This was not a January "fall back" recruit. This is someone we targeted early on. Kirk & Co. do not give out offers this early on a whim. They obviously saw something that impressed them enough to offer before his senior year and the kid accepted. That's exciting.

2. It appears that Greg Davis' connections have started paying early dividends. Although the kid's mom has Iowa connections, I doubt we find him without Greg.

3. This kid certainly looks the part.....6'4"/205lbs, nice release, couple of the highlights it looks like he can make the "hash throw" with no issues, good pocket presence, can run if need be. Reminds me a lot of Colt McCoy.

I put more stock into our coaches' ability to evaluate talent than the fact that the kid hasn't been ranked yet. Now that he's been offered and accepted a scholarship from a major BCS school, he'll be on the recruiting services radar and barring a senior season collapse, I'd expect he'll finish up as a 3*.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderRico View Post
    I'm excited for several reasons:

1. This was not a January "fall back" recruit. This is someone we targeted early on. Kirk & Co. do not give out offers this early on a whim. They obviously saw something that impressed them enough to offer before his senior year and the kid accepted. That's exciting.

2. It appears that Greg Davis' connections have started paying early dividends. Although the kid's mom has Iowa connections, I doubt we find him without Greg.

3. This kid certainly looks the part.....6'4"/205lbs, nice release, couple of the highlights it looks like he can make the "hash throw" with no issues, good pocket presence, can run if need be. Reminds me a lot of Colt McCoy.

I put more stock into our coaches' ability to evaluate talent than the fact that the kid hasn't been ranked yet. Now that he's been offered and accepted a scholarship from a major BCS school, he'll be on the recruiting services radar and barring a senior season collapse, I'd expect he'll finish up as a 3*.
    Or.... maybe he is Greg's nephew or something like that.

HN Legend

he looks to have tools to work with but he will have some major things to clean up too.

1) low release causes balls to float.
    2) bad foot work - usually a product of being in shotgun
    3) throws off back foot a lot - worst thing i saw

the release is bad because it will allow knockdowns and floaters from a 6'4 qb that isnt good. his footwork will improve so not that worried. doesnt have much zip because he threw from back foot all the time.

but he looks mobile enough and he has the size you would like so i see him as someone that could be coached up to be a 1 or 2 yr starter. doesnt have the polish of a rudock or jvb from their tapes but we will see what 1 more year does for him.

It just occured to me I think I have this kids championship game DVR'd still from last fall as I haven't yet watched all the Texas state championships.

Theee Waukee side of WDM via Windsor Heights via West Des Moines via Marshalltown
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmhawks99 View Post
    It just occured to me I think I have this kids championship game DVR'd still from last fall as I haven't yet watched all the Texas state championships.
    Well Chad, go watch that sh!t and fill us in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast