Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

No Surprise, Stanzi as 3rd string again.

No surprise here. When talking about Quarterbacks, Crennel Says that "They're all doing well. Probably, Brady (Quinn) and Matt (Cassel) are a little ahead of (Ricky) Stanzi right now, but they're all working at it." This could be taken as a positive. He said "a little ahead" of Stanzi. This could mean he is as not far down talent/ playbook memorization wise. Or, he was just trying to be nice in saying that Stanzi was definitely behind in developement in comparison to Quinn or Cassel. I just hope Stanzi gets a chance to showcase some in pre-season games. Well, maybe I should wish for more, because last year he did well with the line collapsing as soon as he touched the ball. If he didn't get a chance to play last year with that terrible Palko, then this year doesn't look that great unless some tough injuries take place. Last year was a conspiracy theory of a year though too. Anyway, just an update on Ricky Stanzi. Over or under 1 game appearance in a NFL regular season game? (Notice I did not say start)

Re: No Surprise, Stanzi as 3rd string again.

3rd string QB is probably one of the best jobs in all of sports. You'll probably never have to play, you can tell everyone you are an NFL QB, you make good bank, you get a special jersey in practice so you don't get hit. It's better than kicker or punter because those guys have to play coverage and can get lit up on blocked kicks, plus they have a lot of pressure and if they screw up, they can cost their team a close game. Not so with the 3rd string QB, if you ever see the field, everyone is expecting the team to lose anyway. I hope Ricky stays a 3rd stringer his whole career and sticks in the League long enough to vest in his pension and never gets himself hurt and goes onto a productive career with a nice financial headstart.
    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the University of Iowa, and to the tradition for which it stands, one program, under God, indivisible, with winning and competitiveness sometimes.

"I am growing tired of you..."
    - Jon D. Miller, 11.30.2010

"I am not a fan of ... [OK4P]"
    - Jon D. Miller, 2.13.2008

Under

Banned
    Blog Entries

I'll bet his golf game is top notch.

Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by okeefe4prez View Post
    3rd string QB is probably one of the best jobs in all of sports. You'll probably never have to play, you can tell everyone you are an NFL QB, you make good bank, you get a special jersey in practice so you don't get hit. It's better than kicker or punter because those guys have to play coverage and can get lit up on blocked kicks, plus they have a lot of pressure and if they screw up, they can cost their team a close game. Not so with the 3rd string QB, if you ever see the field, everyone is expecting the team to lose anyway. I hope Ricky stays a 3rd stringer his whole career and sticks in the League long enough to vest in his pension and never gets himself hurt and goes onto a productive career with a nice financial headstart.
    As a player, especially one with a low competitive drive, this is a phenomenal position, you're right. But, as a fan, you want to see him out on the field. I would never wish injury upon any player, but I would take whatever gets Stanzi on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye27 View Post
    As a player, especially one with a low competitive drive, this is a phenomenal position, you're right. But, as a fan, you want to see him out on the field. I would never wish injury upon any player, but I would take whatever gets Stanzi on the field.
    I'm a huge Stanzi fan, and I don't want to see him on the field. Playing QB in the NFL is probably one of the worst things a human can do to their body and you only get one body. Get the guy vested in that pension, keep the brain intact and the body from becoming that of a 50 year old man in 3 years and get the guy back into IC as a grad assistant or in some other capacity in the next 4 or 5 years so he can become part of the Ferentz tree. Ricky ain't gonna be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, he just ain't and unless you're making that kind of scratch, getting run over by guys like Julius Peppers or Clay Matthews just isn't worth it.
    I pledge allegiance to the flag of the University of Iowa, and to the tradition for which it stands, one program, under God, indivisible, with winning and competitiveness sometimes.

"I am growing tired of you..."
    - Jon D. Miller, 11.30.2010

"I am not a fan of ... [OK4P]"
    - Jon D. Miller, 2.13.2008

Sophomore

For Stanzi to ever be a starter in the NFL he'll need an OC who will cater to his style. He doesn't have the arm strength some NFL systems require, but he still could still be a good fit for some teams. Not sure what direction the new OC Brian Daboll will be going in KC but he's a guy who is likely to tailor his system to personnel.

The good news is they didn't draft a QB so they obviously want to continue to develop him for the future. I would expect Quinn to be ahead of him just because of his time in the league. IT will be interesting to see what happens this year if Cassel struggles

Brady Quinn? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by okeefe4prez View Post
    I'm a huge Stanzi fan, and I don't want to see him on the field. Playing QB in the NFL is probably one of the worst things a human can do to their body and you only get one body. Get the guy vested in that pension, keep the brain intact and the body from becoming that of a 50 year old man in 3 years and get the guy back into IC as a grad assistant or in some other capacity in the next 4 or 5 years so he can become part of the Ferentz tree. Ricky ain't gonna be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, he just ain't and unless you're making that kind of scratch, getting run over by guys like Julius Peppers or Clay Matthews just isn't worth it.
    I definitely see your points. Especially the keeping his body/ brain intact from the multiple head injuries etc. I think he would be a great addition to the Iowa football staff too. Although we can probably safely assume that Stanzi will not be a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, I want to give him a chance. If he wants to play, and gets the opportunity, I want to see what he can do. But, what if he is the next Brady? But, because he never really got a shot, we would never know. I just want him to have a shot at playing. Let his playing do the talking so all the speculation and wonder about his play in the NFL can be put to rest based on his performance. Plus, I have a bet with a few friends that if Stanzi had a chance to play, he would do alright, alot better than Palko. haha

HN Legend

I see Cassel getting hurt again (I don't wish it). He's prone...

HN Doctorate

Re:No Surprise, Stanzi as 3rd string again.

Anybody who expected anything more is just wishful thinking not talented enough

Banned
    Blog Entries

All I have heard for the past 6 months is that the only reason Stanzi wasn't playing is because Todd Haley hated him. What are the excuses going to be this year?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBTT View Post
    All I have heard for the past 6 months is that the only reason Stanzi wasn't playing is because Todd Haley hated him. What are the excuses going to be this year?
    Well I guess if cassel doesn't get hurt that is my excuse. Or if he does, (which is more than likely) and Quinn goes in and does a good job, that is my other excuse. If Stanzi goes in and has a bad game, I'll blame the system for not giving him a chance. If he goes in and does poorly again, I'll say he is sick.... Lol no Bias at all. But in reality, I do believe last year was one of conspiracies.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast