Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Garmon a pass...

I hope he gets a pass and no suspension. Necessity is the mother of invention and folks...we need depth at running back. If they are planning to play the kid at all this year (vs. a redshirt and a year of development), get him in early and often, along with a few others, can wait for "development"

His infraction was early enough, and was minor enough for him to be disciplined internally, without suspension. Let him work hard and if it important to him, he will make up for it...the kid has been through more than most should and should be fairly mature 19 y.o.

...now...if he has anything like this happen again....

cut him immediately, no 3rd chance!
    7 wins is average, 8 wins is good, 9 wins is great, 10+ wins is AWESOME.

Fewer than 6 wins should draw criticism on all levels.

Everything is based on Expectations....I EXPECT 7 wins on the norm, but anything less that 6....never acceptable.

Re: Give Garmon a pass...

Im not a fan of suspension. It hurts the team too much. This is in any situation not just Garmon.

I think there is a lot of ways to punish that will punish Garmon and not the team. No pass should be given but I dont like hurting the team because one kid was not using his head.
    If you have a problem with one of my posts please contact ChrisABraden.

"...the program sucks, he is a terrible D1 coach, KF is delusional,.... Deanvogs

^^^He didnt mean it like that, thats only part of his quote......the best part^^^

3:40 2nd Iowa 4th & 13 at Neb30 Wienke punts. Touchback. Ball on Neb20.

More like a puff, puff, pass

Agreed, poor choice of words on my part. By all means, he needs to be disciplied and shown very clearly that it is NOT ok to be smoky smoky or anything else...especially given the recent past.

I only meant suspension is not a good answer....which it looks like we are in agreement with.
    7 wins is average, 8 wins is good, 9 wins is great, 10+ wins is AWESOME.

Fewer than 6 wins should draw criticism on all levels.

Everything is based on Expectations....I EXPECT 7 wins on the norm, but anything less that 6....never acceptable.

I don't think he was going to start unless Bullock and Johnson were doing nothing in terms of production.

HN Legend

next man in is the iowa way. the coaches wont ever call it hurting the team to suspend a player. it is hurting the team to not hold a kid accountable for their actions. i dont know what the correct suspension or punishment should be but he hasnt even beat bullock out and i am not even sure he will. so right now bullock will get the snaps and since we dont know what garmon would give us it isnt hurting the team. we have a decent amount of rbs that i am not worried about depth. we dont have experience but we do have depth. bullock, johnson, barkley, dawson, meier (dont think he stays here), walk-ons, and the possible suspended garmon. six scholly rbs and multiple walk-ons is depth. just need to get them experience.

Senior

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan1319 View Post
    I don't think he was going to start unless Bullock and Johnson were doing nothing in terms of production.
    +1

Banned
    riding down Niagara Falls in the barrels of your skull
    Blog Entries

Young people tend to experiment with weed, not that unusual. However, it's not worth losing a full ride scholarship and a chance at professional career over so I would hope he will be given good advice and makes a wise choice in which path his future takes.

Junior

He doesn't get a pass, just an appropriate punishment given the circumstances. Minor offense; not yet in school or under the immediate supervison of the University or football staff. That could be laps or it could be a suspension. Stanzi, Prater, Clayborn, J. Ferentz and many, many other stars and good team/school citizens had run ins.

This is not a huge deal unless there is more to the story, such as selling weed, etc.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You can't start playing this game where you suspend one kid then not the other because we are thin at his position.
    KF will treat the kid fairly and consistently. To do otherwise will create internal friction within the team.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hawkeye1 View Post
    You can't start playing this game where you suspend one kid then not the other because we are thin at his position.
    KF will treat the kid fairly and consistently. To do otherwise will create internal friction within the team.
    Internal friction and external criticism.
    ***Most successful person to leave Marshalltown, move to Norwalk via Ames and quote a line from The Big Lebowski in his signature 2010, 2011, and 2012 Award Winner***

I'm gonna go find a cash machine... - The Dude

This one is for you Vin/GoG/Scorp...

"If I leave here tomorrow
    Would you still remember me?
    For I must be traveling on, now
    'Cause there's too many places I've got to see"

HN Legend

I hope whatever they decide to do with Garmon is consistent to what has been done in other similar situations. You do not give anyone a pass just because there is a need on the team, you start doing that and it will lead to other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    I hope whatever they decide to do with Garmon is consistent to what has been done in other similar situations. You do not give anyone a pass just because there is a need on the team, you start doing that and it will lead to other problems.
    Exactly. Worse thing you can do as HC is start being inconsistent and making exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    No doubt about it. I would expect nothing less than that from Ferentz. You start down that path of not suspending him when you have others for similar things....Yea that's a way worse precedent to set then the benefits of having this kid who may or may not be playing let alone be a difference maker play.

Any thoughts on when we might learn of his punishment? Does Ferentz have a press conference scheduled in the near future?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast