On the 50 yard line, east side of Kinnick, sunshine on my shoulders!
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 7/0

Late night hypothetical

Brought on by vacation time and Crown....
    But what if - all the university presidents en masse woke up tomorrow and declared, we are educators first and foremost, and all college football will now be a separate entity. Run and maintained by a board of directors at each school, of donors, season ticket holders, alumni, etc. and had no connection to any U other than they could rent the stadiums, and the universities would receive x amount of $ from all revenues of ticket sales, concessions, etc.
    So from now on, what we know as the University of Iowa Hawkeyes, suddenly became the Iowa City Hawkeyes, and they played the Evanston Wildcats, or the East Lansing Spartans, etc. would you still support them? (the team)
    I know there are a lot of other details I am missing in this what if, but I am just curious how many of you would still follow the team.
    So many people complain that players should be paid, but if we as "stockholders" so to speak, had control to pay the players... would we?
    If we could manage the team as a minor league team for the NFL would we? Where is it written that any college should for whatever reason be a "prima facie" farm team for the NFL? Why are universities in this football business other than the money?
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by twinlaker; 06-27-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
    Groucho Marx

"Normally my front end makes no sounds"...... Freaky 11/22/2012

*** Official Best poster from Twin Lakes area 2011 - TwinLaker ***

Thumbs Up/Down
    Given: 0/0

Re: Late night hypothetical

I understand where youre coming from. The problem that I have with pay for play is if college athelets are to get paid, then wont high school kids want the same treatment? I mean its essentially the same thing, kids going to school to play ball, thats just an example and very unlikely. I think if colleges were to go to academic only, then they would see a crazy drop in student population.

Thumbs Up/Down

The fact is that success on the field, court or in some cases rink has a direct effect on general student enrollment, alumni donations, and the local economies of what usually amount to small podunk towns.

I too get where you are coming from, but at the end of the day, I chose Iowa over another school because Iowa had football in the fall..
    Someday, I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place, where we want to go,
    And we'll walk in the sun.
    But till then Tramps Like Us
    Baby we were Born to Run!

You can't imply anything to morons - Ahmet Ertegun.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 7/0

You are essentially describing the Green Bay Packers model. Quoting from the wikipedia:

"The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States."

Seems like you want to go back to something similar to the "golden age of football"

I don't think I would be anywhere nearly as excited about the upcoming season if we are talking "minor league football". If I wanted to follow that I would be all about arena FB, but I'm not.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by BSpringsteen View Post
    The fact is that success on the field, court or in some cases rink has a direct effect on general student enrollment, alumni donations, and the local economies of what usually amount to small podunk towns. I too get where you are coming from, but at the end of the day, I chose Iowa over another school because Iowa had football in the fall..

Yup academically my final two choices were the same.....so my decision came down to hawkeye football