Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Podcast: Miller & Deace on the New College Football Playoff

Deace and I got together over the weekend and discussed the new college football playoff and offer up our thoughts on how it will impact Iowa, Iowa State, Big Ten, Big 12, Notre Dame, which leagues will benefit most and why and more.

I wonder, depending on the strength of schedule aspects to this and how that plays out, if the days of Iowa playing against UNI in FB will soon be over.

HN Podcast: Miller & Deace on Football Final Four | Hawkeye Nation

HN Legend

Re: Podcast: Miller & Deace on the New College Football Playoff

I am listening to it now. I could not agree more about the scheduling of these bowl games. It will be great to make NYD a day of great college football again. After January 1st these bowl games do lose interest since attention does turn to NFL playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by ssckelley View Post
    I am listening to it now. I could not agree more about the scheduling of these bowl games. It will be great to make NYD a day of great college football again. After January 1st these bowl games do lose interest since attention does turn to NFL playoffs.
    This is one of the best byproduct's of the whole thing, IMO.

HN Legend

Jon, you touched on the 2002 projections and then went into strength of schedule. When comparing Iowa vs USC for that final spot in the playoff, what did the strength of schedule look like for both schools? Did the strength of schedule favor one or the other?

Edit, looking at it myself if you look at the strength schedule there is not much debate on USC getting selected over Iowa as that 4th team. USC played a non conference schedule of Notre Dame (ranked), Auburn, Kansas State (ranked), and Colorade (ranked) while Iowa played Iowa State, Akron, Miami Oh, and Utah State.
    Last edited by ssckelley; 07-02-2012 at 09:24 AM.

Re:Podcast: Miller & Deace on the New College Football Playoff

Great to hear you and Steve again! Any chance we'll have a weekly podcast during the season?

Quote Originally Posted by CJSHawk View Post
    Great to hear you and Steve again! Any chance we'll have a weekly podcast during the season?
    We typically talk late on Saturday nights for about an hour anyway, related to the day's college football happenings...we may just record that each week and toss it out for those who care.

HN Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    We typically talk late on Saturday nights for about an hour anyway, related to the day's college football happenings...we may just record that each week and toss it out for those who care.
    yes please! Are you doing postgame radio this year?

Don't get the stance of this resulting in the mid majors downsizing.
    They agreed to this new system because they're going to get MORE money.
    The pooling of money is going to grow exponentially for many reasons, the least of which is the fear of being sued.
    If anything, MORE FCS schools will jump UP. And they are already.

Wash St won the Pac in 2002, so Iowa probably gets a tie breaker over USC.

Quote Originally Posted by treychase View Post
    Don't get the stance of this resulting in the mid majors downsizing.
    They agreed to this new system because they're going to get MORE money.
    The pooling of money is going to grow exponentially for many reasons, the least of which is the fear of being sued.
    If anything, MORE FCS schools will jump UP. And they are already.

The money aspect, or distribution of it and how that is done, will affect my thoughts on this. With what I see now, and know (which isn't a great number of details), if SOS is a big thing I think we could see some FBS contraction

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    yes please! Are you doing postgame radio this year?
    Unsure. I'd like to be able to take my 9 year old to a game and also go to a game with my dad while he is still able to do it...so will have to try to see if logistics can work to do all of that or not.

WSU didn't win it outright, it was a tie with USC and USC was ranked higher.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    The money aspect, or distribution of it and how that is done, will affect my thoughts on this. With what I see now, and know (which isn't a great number of details), if SOS is a big thing I think we could see some FBS contraction
    I do not see a scenario that would make a mid major making "pool" money leave for the fcs to receive fcs money. That would be the equivalent of Iowa leaving for the MAC by choice. Maybe worse.

The mid majors will continue being schedule fodder. That's the point in existence and the big boys NEED that. They will remain and will make more than they've ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by hogeye View Post
    WSU didn't win it outright, it was a tie with USC and USC was ranked higher.
    Wash St beat USC & went to Rose Bowl, so they did "win" the conference.

I do not see a scenario that would make a mid major making "pool" money leave for the fcs to receive fcs money. That would be the equivalent of Iowa leaving for the MAC by choice. Maybe worse.

The mid majors will continue being schedule fodder. That's the point in existence and the big boys NEED that. They will remain and will make more than they've ever made.
    IF the SOS is as such where the money they would get from the playoff, split 120 ways, is signif less than the money they get for playing one or two pricey road games at BCS schools each year, which prop up their athletic departments, they may have a decision to make.

If the SOS component is strong enough, there will be less demand for those big school v small school games, and the $$$ to pay for them will be far less. Still, a lot of details to be learned.

HN Legend

You able to do this live with perhaps a chat room for you to receive questions/comments?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast