Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 2/0

Nice mention for Adrian Clayborn

NFC Blog talking about who will be the next defensive superstar in that division.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/2
    Given: 0/0

Re: Nice mention for Adrian Clayborn

I wish he would have been playing at 270 his senior year at Iowa like he is now. He was so much more explosive when I saw him last year. He was too heavy his senior year and he lost that little extra explosion to get past people.

Thumbs Up/Down

And he was out of shape, wore down late in more than a few games.

Scorpio79

Quote Originally Posted by WinOneThisCentury View Post
    I wish he would have been playing at 270 his senior year at Iowa like he is now. He was so much more explosive when I saw him last year. He was too heavy his senior year and he lost that little extra explosion to get past people.
    This is an accurate observation.

And it kind of punches another hole in the "Doyle" mystique. I'm not sure "Doyle" is all that he's cracked up to be.

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio79 View Post
    This is an accurate observation.

And it kind of punches another hole in the "Doyle" mystique. I'm not sure "Doyle" is all that he's cracked up to be.
    I don't think it is Doyle. I think it is more a factor of how we run the scheme. I am certain he would have had a more productive stat filled senior season if Norm would have let him attack. As it is, his job was to hold the edge and be a big body.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by big10fan View Post
    I don't think it is Doyle. I think it is more a factor of how we run the scheme. I am certain he would have had a more productive stat filled senior season if Norm would have let him attack. As it is, his job was to hold the edge and be a big body.
    Not sure I can go there with you b10f...if that were true AC wouldn't have kicked a$$ in the same scheme the year before...as for blaming Doyle, I can't go there either...it's on Adrian for getting a little bit full of himself...and dinner...and I think he's learned his lesson and it'll actually pay off for him in the future. I just wish it wasn't at the expense of his senior season...or Iowa's...
    It's a dog eat dog world, Woody...and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear...~Norm Peterson

Scorpio79

Quote Originally Posted by big10fan View Post
    Have to disagree, b10f.
    AC was frequently trailing plays, ineffective with a straight rush, and always winded his SR year. That's not a scheme thing; that's a fitness (strength & conditioning) thing.
    Maybe he ignored Doyle, or faked it, I dunno. Either way, AC was not in competitive shape his SR year.

Scorpio79

zomg Shane and I are like twin sons of different mamas

Thumbs Up/Down

zomg Shane and I are like twin sons of different mamas
    BROTHER!?!?
    It's a dog eat dog world, Woody...and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear...~Norm Peterson

Scorpio79

Quote Originally Posted by HawkeyeShane View Post
    BROTHER!?!?
    BROTHER?!?1?

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Given: 12/0

Have to disagree, b10f.
    AC was frequently trailing plays, ineffective with a straight rush, and always winded his SR year. That's not a scheme thing; that's a fitness (strength & conditioning) thing.
    Maybe he ignored Doyle, or faked it, I dunno. Either way, AC was not in competitive shape his SR year.
    There are plenty of reasons for a guy to be out of shape. But it most commonly comes down to slacking off on the part of the player. I've sort of been there. I'm in awful shape these days, and it's because I haven't dedicated myself to being fit in quite some time.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

Thumbs Up/Down

BROTHER?!?1?

I KNEW IT!!!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    There are plenty of reasons for a guy to be out of shape. But it most commonly comes down to slacking off on the part of the player. I've sort of been there. I'm in awful shape these days, and it's because I haven't dedicated myself to being fit in quite some time.
    How are you going to score a soccer hottie if you're pudgy??? And if you do pull it off you better let me know so I may live vicariously through you! GOT IT!?!?

Scorpio79

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    It's OK if you don't blame Doyle for your flabby azz, Tork, bince you ain't part of the program.
    Doyle's job, his only job, is to make sure the players on the Iowa football team are in the best shape they can be, so that Ferentz and the staff have the best chance of winning games.
    Clayborn was not in good shape his SR season. Doyle has to be accountable for that; maybe not totally, but he doesn't get a pass.
    Ditto the rhabdo incident. There is culpability.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/2

To me, I'm not sure I would lay all the blame on Doyle. It's pretty evident to me that the ****** who is now coaching at Nebraska had lost his players. Both Ballard and Clayborn were 15 pounds at least overweight and it showed.

At some point your position coach has to say, you aren't being effective at that weight and you have to get down to this weight. That obviously wasn't happening. It's ironic that the first thing TB DL coach said is that you have to get down to 270 to play the position and you need to improve your speed and explosiveness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast