Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
  1. #1

    Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    I am reading a lot of national talking heads and others saying the NCAA overstepped its authority with its sanctions of Penn State.

    Don't know that I go along with that.

    Penn State signed a consent of decree, saying they accepted the NCAA's punishment. While PSU may have done this to avoid the Death Penalty, or the threat of it, it still comes down to a simple premise:

    if you believe the NCAA was operating outside of its jurisdiction, the threat of the Death Penalty for the aspects related to the PSU situation would be empty, would they not?

    You can't on the one hand say you feel the NCAA was out over its ski tips and in the next breath say that you accepted what would be an implied illegitimate set of punishments to avoid harsher punishments from an agency you don't believe had the power to do what it did.

    Which in the end means you really do believe the NCAA had the authority to do what it did, which renders the debate of whether or not the NCAA actually had the authority to do what it did, moot.
    Last edited by JonDMiller; 07-24-2012 at 07:45 AM.

  2. #2
    Scorpio79
    Guest

    Re: Did Penn State Overstep its Authority?

    Thread title incorrect?

  3. #3

    Re: Did Penn State Overstep its Authority?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio79 View Post
    Thread title incorrect?
    Yes, thank you

  4. #4
    HN Legend latrans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Laboratory
    Posts
    5,168

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Yes, you are correct, it is a pointless discussion.
    Viva Las Salukis!

  5. #5
    Graduate
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    I would love it if people at least browsed this before responding:

    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...nce-manual.pdf

    I've heard/read a ton of people proclaiming expertise over what the NCAA can and can't do in the past few days, but I haven't seen anyone backing up their arguments with actual evidence.

  6. #6
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Fairbank, IA
    Posts
    10,837

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    No, it is a stupid discussion and a classic example how talking heads make up different opinions to get people to read their content.

  7. #7

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Let's pretend they were threatened with death penalty if they didn't agree to the sanctions put forth...

    I disagree with your logic because Penn State wasn't 100% certain that they would win an appeal. So they thought it was smarter for them to take these sanctions, not risk losing an appeal and getting the death penalty, and not risk the incredibly terrible press that would be brought down on the school with an appeal.

    Again, I agree that the NCAA had jurisdiction. Just don't agree with the logic in the OP.

  8. #8

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Quote Originally Posted by olivecourt View Post
    I would love it if people at least browsed this before responding:

    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...nce-manual.pdf

    I've heard/read a ton of people proclaiming expertise over what the NCAA can and can't do in the past few days, but I haven't seen anyone backing up their arguments with actual evidence.
    That is logic I'll agree with. There really isn't a rebuttal for that.

  9. #9
    HN Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Hawkeye land
    Posts
    3,785

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    I've been saying all along that I didn't think the NCAA would be able to do anything because the bylaws are too vague or non-existent in a case like this. This is not something that anyone writing the bylaws would have ever expected to happen so it was never addressed. I have a feeling that PSU is in full damage control mode and that they figured it was better to just STFU and accept any punishment handed down to prevent any further embarrassment in public. They could fight it and would probably be able to create a good defense against the sanctions, but at what cost in the public eye?
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

  10. #10
    HN Legend BSpringsteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Asbury Park, NJ
    Posts
    4,328

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Penn State is a criminal matter, not an NCAA by-law matter.

    HOWEVER as Emmert said yesterday, they HAD to act to ensure that football never took on an importance so great that an entire administration was willing to look the other way with kids getting molested by a coach/former coach/pseudo football emeritus guy.

    For them to have not acted, would have been to allow football to continue to be more important than doing the right thing.

    If they overstepped their bounds, than they were right for doing it.
    Someday, I don't know when
    we're gonna get to that place, where we want to go,
    And we'll walk in the sun.
    But till then Tramps Like Us
    Baby we were Born to Run!

    You can't imply anything to morons - Ahmet Ertegun.

  11. #11
    HN Legend tm3308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Corydon/Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    13,730
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Quote Originally Posted by atxhawk View Post
    I've been saying all along that I didn't think the NCAA would be able to do anything because the bylaws are too vague or non-existent in a case like this. This is not something that anyone writing the bylaws would have ever expected to happen so it was never addressed. I have a feeling that PSU is in full damage control mode and that they figured it was better to just STFU and accept any punishment handed down to prevent any further embarrassment in public. They could fight it and would probably be able to create a good defense against the sanctions, but at what cost in the public eye?
    This. Even if you're 100% sure the NCAA didn't overstep here, the fact that PSU signed the consent doesn't provide any kind of confirmation.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

    Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

  12. #12
    Graduate
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Quote Originally Posted by atxhawk View Post
    I've been saying all along that I didn't think the NCAA would be able to do anything because the bylaws are too vague or non-existent in a case like this. This is not something that anyone writing the bylaws would have ever expected to happen so it was never addressed. I have a feeling that PSU is in full damage control mode and that they figured it was better to just STFU and accept any punishment handed down to prevent any further embarrassment in public. They could fight it and would probably be able to create a good defense against the sanctions, but at what cost in the public eye?
    Evidence for this claim?

  13. #13

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Quote Originally Posted by olivecourt View Post
    I would love it if people at least browsed this before responding:

    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...nce-manual.pdf

    I've heard/read a ton of people proclaiming expertise over what the NCAA can and can't do in the past few days, but I haven't seen anyone backing up their arguments with actual evidence.
    article 2.1 and following cover a lot of bases!

  14. #14

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Quote Originally Posted by olivecourt View Post
    I would love it if people at least browsed this before responding:

    http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...nce-manual.pdf

    I've heard/read a ton of people proclaiming expertise over what the NCAA can and can't do in the past few days, but I haven't seen anyone backing up their arguments with actual evidence.
    Read the entire manual...NCAA did fine.

    Too bad the Big 10 didn't step up to the plate....wonder if the Big 10 has a manual covering compliance. They always talk about the high level of excellence it takes to be in the Big 10.

  15. #15
    Graduate
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    1,424

    Re: Did NCAA Overstep its Authority?

    Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    This. Even if you're 100% sure the NCAA didn't overstep here, the fact that PSU signed the consent doesn't provide any kind of confirmation.
    The NCAA isn't some external body like the FBI or the Department of Motor Vehicles. It is composed of its member institutions-- and Penn State is one of those. So they can pretty much do whatever their member institutions agree to. That's why Penn State's agreement is relevant here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •