Change on the horizon for NCAA wrestling

Change on the horizon for NCAA wrestling | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

one topic I'd like to discuss is video review sounds like they are going to test it this year but we won't see it at Nationals. Can this hurt the sport or help it?
    Last edited by pin2win; 08-06-2012 at 09:57 AM.

HN Legend

Re: Change on the horizon for NCAA wrestling

I wouldn't mind a system like the international style. You can change it somewhat by if you challenge and you lose, other guy gets a point and choice.

it slows down events only thing that would suck bout it and the occasion call that we get at carver

i don't like it because if you were at the trials, you saw that tons of times the coaches threw the brick mainly because there wasn't anything to lose. i'll give you a scenario in folkstyle. tie match late in the third guy scores a clear takedown at the edge of the mat w/ little time left. the coach might as well challenge it. if you lose by 2 or 3 who cares? still a lose. now we've gone from an exciting finish to a boring one w/a ref looking at a computer screen. not good for the sport.
    or some coaches might think the one point is a fair trade off if their wrestler is gassed.
    Freestyle has 3 refs and video review and they still seem to F it up. leave it the way it is. I'm all for progress, but not if kills the action of a match.

Quote Originally Posted by pin2win View Post
    Change on the horizon for NCAA wrestling | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

one topic I'd like to discuss is video review sounds like they are going to test it this year but we won't see it at Nationals. Can this hurt the sport or help it?
    Do like the NFL, you get 2 challenges per meet, but only one can be used in any single match. If both are successful you get a third. If either of the first 2 challenges fail, you don't get the third. Any scoring at the end of period gets reviewed just to determine if time ran out, have video showing the match with a clock on it.

Now tournaments could be a mess, but for now they are just testing in duals.
    "Ever had a conversation with someone so dumb that you thought their bad breath could be caused by the brain rotting inside their head?" - Blake Shelton

more drama i guess

HN Legend

Quote Originally Posted by CRlightweight View Post
    i don't like it because if you were at the trials, you saw that tons of times the coaches threw the brick mainly because there wasn't anything to lose. i'll give you a scenario in folkstyle. tie match late in the third guy scores a clear takedown at the edge of the mat w/ little time left. the coach might as well challenge it. if you lose by 2 or 3 who cares? still a lose. now we've gone from an exciting finish to a boring one w/a ref looking at a computer screen. not good for the sport.
    or some coaches might think the one point is a fair trade off if their wrestler is gassed.
    Freestyle has 3 refs and video review and they still seem to F it up. leave it the way it is. I'm all for progress, but not if kills the action of a match.

You've got a good point. How about a system where you have 3 refs, one on the mat and two on opposite ends. When a takedown is awarded, if all three agree, no challenge allowed. If 2 or 1(the ref on the mat), then obviously there is doubt and a challenge can be made.

I would also have it that only the mat ref can make a call, the other 2 either agree/disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpdog20 View Post
    You've got a good point. How about a system where you have 3 refs, one on the mat and two on opposite ends. When a takedown is awarded, if all three agree, no challenge allowed. If 2 or 1(the ref on the mat), then obviously there is doubt and a challenge can be made.

I would also have it that only the mat ref can make a call, the other 2 either agree/disagree.
    having 3 refs costs a lot of $$ for a non-revenue sport. especially at the lower levels. I understand your point, but i think it's ridiculous that FILA has 3 refs and still such a need for video review. kills the flow of the matches. i hate it.