Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 14/0
    Given: 9/8

Freshman Nate Meier working at RB

Iowa Freshman Nate Meier Working at Running Back | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Local

From article:

For now, the freshman from Fremont-Mills High School will work at running back, an obvious need for the Hawkeyes.

“That is a position that he came in that he really wanted to give a shot to,” Iowa running backs coach Lester Erb said. “So we’re working him right now in the backfield.”

Meier, who stands 6-foot-2 and weighs 235 pounds, was named the state’s 8-man player of the year. He rushed for 2,497 yards and 57 touchdowns as a senior while leading his school to the state title. He scored 61 touchdowns overall. As a junior he ran for 1,674 yards and 30 touchdowns.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 17/3
    Given: 12/3

Re: Freshman Nate Meier working at RB

Anyone think he'll play?
    "I haven't gone to the top floor that often this year, but tonight I had a business meeting." -Dev Marble 2/1/12

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 22/0
    Given: 17/1

He'll obviously have a tougher time trucking college defenders than he did in high school, but he was the most dominating high school back I've ever seen in person. If he can pick up the offense and pass protections, I think he'll get some time this year. He still may not stay there for four years, but the lack of depth this year all but demands he stay in the backfield.
    HawkeyeRyno's yearly assessment of Fran's recruiting:

Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 21/3
    Given: 0/0

The High School video of this kid is simply...Man among boys. It will be interesting to see how that translates to NCAA D1.
    Last edited by hawkdrummer1; 08-06-2012 at 10:20 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/1
    Given: 0/1

lol we have gotten this desperate eh?

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan1319 View Post
    lol we have gotten this desperate eh?
    I'm sure a lot of people out there said the same thing when Iowa first relied on guys like Adam Robinson, Brett Greenwood, and Marvin McNutt.

I'm not saying Meier will be like any of those guys, but it'd be foolish to write a guy off without ever having seen him play a college game.

Really? Because judging by how many of Fran's top targets have committed elsewhere so far and Iowa has no commitments I'd say recruiting trail has been a struggle so far for Fran for the [insert current recruiting year] class.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0

I started a thread about him a couple weeks ago. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he impresses enough to get touches come game day. We'll see how things play out he certainly provides the one thing the other backs coming in and already there don't. Size and strength. If he's athletic enough & fast enough to be D1 material will be decided before long. I think he's goal line material right now. Time will tell.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

His HS film was great...but it was also hilarious. I had never really seen 8 man until I youtubed him. The gameplay reminded me of an awesome, intense pick up game.

I don't want to be Mr. KneeJerk, just because someone started a thread on a fan blog... but the kid has never even played 11 man football (assuming his youth experience was also reduced player count). I could put it more rudely and say that he has NEVER EVEN PLAYED REAL FOOTBALL.

However, physical talent is physical talent and I think he could be really good. So many reasons to be skeptical though

Blog Entries
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by IowaTeddy View Post
    His HS film was great...but it was also hilarious. I had never really seen 8 man until I youtubed him. The gameplay reminded me of an awesome, intense pick up game.

I don't want to be Mr. KneeJerk, just because someone started a thread on a fan blog... but the kid has never even played 11 man football (assuming his youth experience was also reduced player count). I could put it more rudely and say that he has NEVER EVEN PLAYED REAL FOOTBALL.

However, physical talent is physical talent and I think he could be really good. So many reasons to be skeptical though
    Chad Greenway played 7-man football in high school.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

Quote Originally Posted by franstheman View Post
    Anyone think he'll play?
    Yes, at a different position a few years down the line.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdrummer1 View Post
    The High School video of this kid is simply...Man among boys. It will be interesting to see how that translates to NCAA D1.
    That's because he was literally playing against "boys."

Competition doesn't get any weaker anywhere on earth than what that guy saw last year in southwest Iowa 8-man ball.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by tm3308 View Post
    No he didn't, he played 9 man.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 46/4
    Given: 189/43

Iowa doesnt need a super star. They need a back that tries hard(Arob and Coker were players that put it out there and kept their feet moving, but were not overly talented). If a player that runs the ball out of the back field(I will not use the term for them) picks up the blocking then they can play in an Iowa offense. Blocking is the key factor on who KF lets on the field. With the OL that Iowa has on a regular basis the guy that is handed the ball in the backfield and then given a chance to run does not need to have great running skill for the Iowa offense to work. On the other hand, a guy like Greene comes along then you have something great. You dont need that to make this offense good though.

If the kid can block then he will see the field.
    If you have a problem with one of my posts please contact ChrisABraden.

"...the program sucks, he is a terrible D1 coach, KF is delusional,.... Deanvogs

^^^He didnt mean it like that, thats only part of his quote......the best part^^^

3:40 2nd Iowa 4th & 13 at Neb30 Wienke punts. Touchback. Ball on Neb20.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 32/9
    Given: 38/7

was greenway a feature player as a true freshman?

playing a part of the defense or special team where 10 other guys have your back is a bit different than playing on an island with all eyes on you.

can it be done as a true freshman? sure, a certain western IA 3A player did pretty well at it a couple years ago, no matter what some tavern hok wannabe (read:clown grad) has to say about his ability. that being said, that 3A player could play ball and had a fantastic OL to run behind.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

OKay okay, I knew people would have examples for me (this is Iowa Football after all) and I didn't mean to offend anyone. Seriously. No offense at all, this kid is a way better athlete than I am, or anyone on my HS team was either.

And it's true about Greenway, and awesome. But Chad Greenway redshirted year 1, then had injuries/sat for most of his second year. And in his 3rd year, he started as a sophomore. Greenway had two full years to come into the program and develop physically and mentally. He didn't emerge from 7 man football as an 18 year old and start contributing in the Big 10.

I am willing to bet that VERY few guys have done that ever. But I've never seen/heard of a more physically ready 8 man player than Nate Meier. So let's see.

I am not hating on him at all. When he committed, I literally starting thinking about him in the Ron Dayne mold.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast