Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Alvarez on Future Wisconsin Offensive Philosophy

"Alvarez: I don't see us as a spread offense. We can't recruit those guys consistently. You know the plan - starts w/ big palookas up front."

I have felt this applies to Iowa, too..and still think it does. You have to first know the kind of player you are realistically going to be able to sign on a regular basis...and create your offense from there. For Iowa, and Wisconsin, you feel good about your chances of getting good offensive linemen.

Blog Entries

Re: Alvarez on Future Wisconsin Offensive Philosophy

well, there goes the Rhoads rumors.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstalent View Post
    This team angerfies me

I agree but I think we are not getting the guys Wisconsin is as a whole. Yeah we have 1 NFL every other year but the rest don't seem at the same level especially when it cmes to physical size. It seems we want the same philospohy but are built for a different one physically.

You can run spread, blur, air raid, triple option, power rush, whatever and be successful in college football, but you definitely need to know who/what type of team you are and commit to doing that. Iowa seems to lack an identity right now.
    "You people need to grow up and learn some etiquette." -ThunderHawk, 11/3/2011

Alvarez - "Bret used my gameplan to win"

Lacking an identity and not having the athletes to represent said identity are completely different things..

Iowa prefers the defense win games. Attempts to stop a passing offense primarily with its front four.

Iowa prefers the offense runs the ball - eat up the clock. Pro set, play action passing.

Iowa has always been a conservative team.
    Iowa's defense will always have trouble with spread teams, with passing teams.
    Iowa's offense will rarely score points in bunches like, for example, W Virginia.
    Last edited by HomerChampless; 12-06-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkfan340 View Post
    You can run spread, blur, air raid, triple option, power rush, whatever and be successful in college football, but you definitely need to know who/what type of team you are and commit to doing that. Iowa seems to lack an identity right now.
    Agree with this post. For Iowa to win, you also have to have a tough and physical front 7 on defense, which is exactly what Fry and Ferentz had in their bowl seasons. I firmly believe Ferentz can get there again.

Now we can get our Comedy Central posters to weigh in with their pithy, negative remarks.

The strength/success of Iowa's OL is one of the biggest myths of all time.

I'm so sick of hearing that we can't recruit 'those' types of players. Kansas State, Boise State, seem to do it in about the same climate (population-wise and weather)

Seems the Ferentz "we're just Iowa" has really permeated the fan mindset. I agree that we are at a disadvantage, but look at the athletes Zooker could recruit. He just couldn't coach. The right coach can get pure athletes to come. Just need the right coach.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperjon View Post
    I'm so sick of hearing that we can't recruit 'those' types of players. Kansas State, Boise State, seem to do it in about the same climate (population-wise and weather)

Seems the Ferentz "we're just Iowa" has really permeated the fan mindset. I agree that we are at a disadvantage, but look at the athletes Zooker could recruit. He just couldn't coach. The right coach can get pure athletes to come. Just need the right coach.
    So then it's either Kirk won't, or he is incapable or not allowed.

KSU and Iowa admin standards are not the same. I have no idea about Boise State, but guessing the same. Before you say Kirk and his staff are then incapable, do you think Hayden was incapable? He didn't exactly have the nation's elite skill pos talent lining up outside his door, either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonDMiller View Post
    So then it's either Kirk won't, or he is incapable or not allowed.

KSU and Iowa admin standards are not the same. I have no idea about Boise State, but guessing the same. Before you say Kirk and his staff are then incapable, do you think Hayden was incapable? He didn't exactly have the nation's elite skill pos talent lining up outside his door, either.
    not that Hayden had tons of great skill players, but he definitely had more than KF. now, that could be due to Synder also being a coach here during that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstalent View Post
    This team angerfies me

Kirk ignores two and casually recruits the third most talent rich areas of the country.
    That's the only thing you need to know.

Ferentz spends to much time telling what Iowa isnt instead of selling what Iowa is.

Quote Originally Posted by treychase View Post
    Kirk ignores two and casually recruits the third most talent rich areas of the country.
    That's the only thing you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatMan View Post
    not that Hayden had tons of great skill players, but he definitely had more than KF. now, that could be due to Synder also being a coach here during that time.
    From my receivers article last week:

Prior to Marvin McNutt in the 2012 draft. the last Iowa wide receivers who were selected in the NFL draft were Kahlil Hill in the 2002 (Round Six) and Kevin Kasper in 2001 (Round Seven). Neither Hill or Kasper were recruited to Iowa during the Ferentz era. So in 14 recruiting classes, Iowa produced ONE NFL Draft pick at receiver. Thatís stark, but add in that McNutt was recruited to Iowa to play quarterback and didnít make the transition to receiver until 18 months after he arrived on campus.

Looking at things before Ferentz arrived as head coach, you had Tim Dwight drafted in 1998, Danan Hughes in 1993, Quinn Early in 1988 and Keith Chapelle in 1981. Chapelle was not recruited to Iowa by Hayden Fry. Iowa didnít have one wide receiver drafted in the decade of the 1970′s. So between Fry and Ferentz, whose eras comprise the last 34 years of Iowa football, the Hawkeyes have seen a grand total of seven wide receivers taken by NFL teams.
    And of the Top 10 individual season best rushing seasons in Iowa history, five of those players were recruited to Iowa by Ferentz and four by Fry. Of the Top 11 single season passing performances, seven players comprise that list...Long, Hartlieb and Rogers were Fry players, Vandenberg, Tate, Stanzi and Banks were Ferentz players. None of those players were highly recruited coming out of high school.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast