1. #1
    MeatMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,246
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    for those who missed it (like me).

    Hawkeyes Top Lehigh, 26-9 - Iowa Official Athletic Site
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstalent View Post
    This team angerfies me

  2. #2
    MeatMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,246
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap



    #5 IOWA 26, #23 Lehigh 9
    125 - #1 Matt McDonough (IA) pinned Alex Abreu (LU), 2:05; 6-0
    133 - #3 Tony Ramos (IA) major dec. Cody Kievman (LU), 12-3; 10-0
    141 - #11 Mark Ballweg (IA) major dec. #18 Anthony Salupo (LU), 15-5; 14-0
    149 - Michael Kelly (IA) dec. #19 Shane Welsh (LU), 9-4; 17-0
    157 - #1 Derek St. John (IA) dec. #4 Joey Napoli (LU), 6-0; 20-0
    165 - #19 Nick Moore (IA) dec. #17 Eric Hess (LU), 7-4; 23-0
    174 - #19 Nathaniel Brown (LU) dec. Grant Gambrall (IA), 3-2; 23-3
    184 - #3 Robert Hamlin (LU) dec. #7 Ethen Lofthouse (IA), 9-4; 23-6
    197 - John Bolich (LU) dec. #20 Nathan Burak (IA), 3-2; 23-9
    285 - #5 Bobby Telford (IA) dec. Jack Delia (LU), 11-4; 26-9

    big takeaway: looks like Grant wet the bed again. wonder how ****** off Brands and Ironside were.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstalent View Post
    This team angerfies me

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    madison,wi
    Posts
    59
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Hamilton's review sounded as if Brands was very unhappy with the way the upper weights wrestled. Not aggressive enough, and made a comment that Lofthouse wrestled to keep it close. I wonder if this tips the scales more in Evans' favor for the lineup spot, as he has more fire.

    Iowa wrestlers beat Lehigh 26-9 | Hawk Central
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  4. #4
    CRlightweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    583
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    i think this is the nail coffin for Grant. i'd be shocked to see him get another chance w/o an injury. if Lofthouse was wrestling to keep it close he sure didn't do a very good job. Lotta positives w/ the lower weights. I really like how Ballweg is wrestling. and sounded like a solid match from Kelly as well. Burak is just not even close to being ready. that sucks to have a whole that big all year.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  5. #5
    GoHawks24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dez Moyne Ez
    Posts
    3,140
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/1
    Given: 2/2

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Okay, I don't follow the wrestling team very closely so can somebody please clue me in as to why Mike Evans wasn't in the starting lineup? He was very solid last year, IIRC.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Go Hawkeyes. Go Eagles. Go Cubs. Go UNI Panthers (except when they're playing the Hawks, of course).

    I find that a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. -Mitch Hedberg

    "May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face.
    And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."

    "You can't fix stupid." -inspired by many of the posters on this fine message board.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    115
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Gambrall definitely laid an egg and likely gave the spot away. The coaches have given him more than enough opportunities to flip the switch and he just hasn’t stepped up. It’s really disappointing because I had extremely high hopes for Grant at 174 and hate to see a senior go out that way. Burak has nothing to lose and needs to get a fire lit and start wrestling with some urgency. I hope he makes some major strides and surprises us at the end of the year when it counts but based on his performances thus far, I’m very happy the coaches added Broc Berge to give us another great option if Burak doesn’t progress.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    115
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Quote Originally Posted by GoHawks24 View Post
    Okay, I don't follow the wrestling team very closely so can somebody please clue me in as to why Mike Evans wasn't in the starting lineup? He was very solid last year, IIRC.
    Mike grew and couldn’t make 165 any longer so he moved up to 174 this year. He’s been battling Gambrall for the starting spot at 174 and has been much more aggressive in his performances and likely will be named the starter now that Grant has continued to be too passive and let matches slip away against lesser opponents.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    610
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Broc Berge may be the only reason that Brands took the red-shirt off Burak. He might just be thinking Burak is our best option for now, and he won't be in the line up in a couple years anyway so i might as well use him. If not, then most optimism I can hope for is that his career path is similar to Fulsaas.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    115
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Quote Originally Posted by CRwrestling View Post
    Broc Berge may be the only reason that Brands took the red-shirt off Burak. He might just be thinking Burak is our best option for now, and he won't be in the line up in a couple years anyway so i might as well use him. If not, then most optimism I can hope for is that his career path is similar to Fulsaas.
    I completely agree. If the Hawks didn't sign Berge this year, I'm sure there'd be a much better chance we'd be seeing Lira this year to preserve Burak's RS and give him a year to develop. After signing Berge, I'm sure the coaches were much more open to pulling Burak's RS this year knowing that he could always us his RS another year after Broc's on campus. You might as well give him some live matches and experience now when he's the best man at the weight in the room rather than redshirt him and then possibly have him only wrestle one year then ride the bench for three years if Berge wins the spot.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

  10. #10
    ICAlumni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Iowa City
    Posts
    1,166
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    I completely agree. If the Hawks didn't sign Berge this year, I'm sure there'd be a much better chance we'd be seeing Lira this year to preserve Burak's RS and give him a year to develop. After signing Berge, I'm sure the coaches were much more open to pulling Burak's RS this year knowing that he could always us his RS another year after Broc's on campus. You might as well give him some live matches and experience now when he's the best man at the weight in the room rather than redshirt him and then possibly have him only wrestle one year then ride the bench for three years if Berge wins the spot.
    You guys are talking about GG wrestling like this was his chance to start - it wasn't. Evans is the guy and has been the guy. Nothing has changed. This is just Brands dinking around early in the season when it doesn't matter to mix things up. He's continuing to give chances to GG to see if he can do anything. Guess what? He can't. He continues to unimpress for the last 2 years. But he's put in his time and Brands is at least throwing him some bones. Evans is the guy. Don't kid yourselves.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Iowa State University
    *mediocrity since 1858*

  11. #11
    GoHawks24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dez Moyne Ez
    Posts
    3,140
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/1
    Given: 2/2

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Mike grew and couldn’t make 165 any longer so he moved up to 174 this year. He’s been battling Gambrall for the starting spot at 174 and has been much more aggressive in his performances and likely will be named the starter now that Grant has continued to be too passive and let matches slip away against lesser opponents.
    Gotcha, thanks a lot for the info. It's really too bad about Gambrall.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Go Hawkeyes. Go Eagles. Go Cubs. Go UNI Panthers (except when they're playing the Hawks, of course).

    I find that a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. -Mitch Hedberg

    "May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face.
    And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."

    "You can't fix stupid." -inspired by many of the posters on this fine message board.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    610
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

    Re: Iowa v Lehigh Recap

    Quote Originally Posted by ICAlumni View Post
    You guys are talking about GG wrestling like this was his chance to start - it wasn't. Evans is the guy and has been the guy. Nothing has changed. This is just Brands dinking around early in the season when it doesn't matter to mix things up. He's continuing to give chances to GG to see if he can do anything. Guess what? He can't. He continues to unimpress for the last 2 years. But he's put in his time and Brands is at least throwing him some bones. Evans is the guy. Don't kid yourselves.
    We're talking about burak, not evans and gg. I agree with what you said about gg and evans though. That ship had already sailed before last night.
    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in