Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    storminspank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hawkeyenation
    Posts
    15,340

    Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    IOWA FOOTBALL

    BLYTHE EARNS FRESHMAN HONOR

    IOWA CITY, Iowa
    Scout.com, powered by Fox Sports Next, has named University of Iowa offensive lineman Austin Blythe to its Freshman All-America first team. Blythe is one of five Big Ten Conference players named to the 25-member first team, while two additional players from the Big Ten were named to the second unit.
    Blythe (6-foot-3, 275 pounds) is a redshirt freshman from Williamsburg, Iowa. He played in 10 games, while starting nine at right guard. Blythe missed two games in the middle of the season due to injury before returning to the starting line-up for the final five contests.Blythe used 2011 as a redshirt season. He joined the Hawkeye program after earning first team all-state honors as a junior and senior. He was honorable mention on the Parade All-America football team as a senior and was a three-time state wrestling champion.Scout.com named Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel as its freshman Offensive Player of the Year, while Devonte Fields of TCU was named the freshman Defensive Player of the Year.



    BREWMANIACS.COM - Enthusiastically Obsessed with Beer.

    I don't have PMs turned on at this time, please e-mail me: [storminspank at gmail].

  2. #2
    GoHawks24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dez Moyne Ez
    Posts
    3,105

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Good for Austin. With another offseason of coaching and training, he's gonna be a really good one.
    Go Hawkeyes. Go Eagles. Go Cubs. Go UNI Panthers (except when they're playing the Hawks, of course).

    I find that a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. -Mitch Hedberg

    "May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face.
    And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."

    "You can't fix stupid." -inspired by many of the posters on this fine message board.

  3. #3

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Quote Originally Posted by GoHawks24 View Post
    Good for Austin. With another offseason of coaching and training, he's gonna be a really good one.
    thought better--good for him

  4. #4

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    looks like the OL will be solid,
    Van Sloten 5TH yr senior
    Blythe 3rd year SO
    Boffeli 5th year SR
    Donnal 4th year JR
    Scherff 4th year JR
    All have starting experience, vs this season where Iowa had just 2 with starting experience
    as for Backups with playing time and also who got a couple of starts because of injuries.
    Mac Millan 5th year SR
    Clark 5th year SR
    Walsh 3rd Year SO
    Simmons 3rd year JR IWCC JUCO tranfer
    that's 9 who have played and/or starting experience, add them to the RB's, TE's and WR's that Iowa has added/returning, all we need is a QB that is better than JVB to manage this team.

  5. #5
    Chickenlounge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    Posts
    1,821

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk55 View Post
    looks like the OL will be solid,
    Van Sloten 5TH yr senior
    Blythe 3rd year SO
    Boffeli 5th year SR
    Donnal 4th year JR
    Scherff 4th year JR
    All have starting experience, vs this season where Iowa had just 2 with starting experience
    as for Backups with playing time and also who got a couple of starts because of injuries.
    Mac Millan 5th year SR
    Clark 5th year SR
    Walsh 3rd Year SO
    Simmons 3rd year JR IWCC JUCO tranfer
    that's 9 who have played and/or starting experience, add them to the RB's, TE's and WR's that Iowa has added/returning, all we need is a QB that is better than JVB to manage this team.
    And an OC that's better than Davis to manage the schemes.
    ------

    We are the people our parents warned us about.

    --Jimmy Buffett

  6. #6

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlounge View Post
    And an OC that's better than Davis to manage the schemes.
    how about we see how the offense does with a full year under his belt at Iowa and the kids adjusting to his style of play.
    there were some plays called this season, I had never seen called by KOK.
    a flea flicker
    a snap to a RB then a backward pass to the QB for a pass down field
    there are others as well, people call JVB a bad QB, then say the OC is the problem, then say with a new OC everything will magically be all nicey nice again.
    sorry it does not work that way. way to many 1st time starters and way to many young players getting their feet wet, then you have to take injuries to figure in. this team just never got a chance to play as a unit, while the OL was getting used to playing together they went 4-2 including a win over MSU.
    after the injuries started to mount, the wins stopped

  7. #7
    Billso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    8,793

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Quote Originally Posted by storminspank View Post
    IOWA FOOTBALL

    BLYTHE EARNS FRESHMAN HONOR

    IOWA CITY, Iowa
    Scout.com, powered by Fox Sports Next, has named University of Iowa offensive lineman Austin Blythe to its Freshman All-America first team. Blythe is one of five Big Ten Conference players named to the 25-member first team, while two additional players from the Big Ten were named to the second unit.
    Blythe (6-foot-3, 275 pounds) is a redshirt freshman from Williamsburg, Iowa. He played in 10 games, while starting nine at right guard. Blythe missed two games in the middle of the season due to injury before returning to the starting line-up for the final five contests.Blythe used 2011 as a redshirt season. He joined the Hawkeye program after earning first team all-state honors as a junior and senior. He was honorable mention on the Parade All-America football team as a senior and was a three-time state wrestling champion.Scout.com named Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel as its freshman Offensive Player of the Year, while Devonte Fields of TCU was named the freshman Defensive Player of the Year.
    Is that their branding now after the FSN launch fell on its face a couple months back? "Scout.com, powered by Fox Sports Next"???

    The derpage is mind-boggling down there.

    More importantly, congratulations to Austin.
    Last edited by Billso; 12-07-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    *** Official Most Erudite Poster - 2011 HN POTY AWARDS ***
    "They were only 46 plays from going undefeated this year. With the talent that CPR has stocked up plus the standout WR from Urbandale coming in, 10-2 is probably a little pessimistic." - OK4P - 12/9/2013

  8. #8
    docholihawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    clear lake
    Posts
    1,180

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Just wondering, is Blythe a candidate to move to left tackle after Scherf leaves?

  9. #9

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    bu bu bu bu but the Coaches have to go <sarcasm>

    let's wait to see what happens with our young & now experienced team. A lot of players like Blythe on this team. A lot of people will be retracting their statements from this year between 2013-2015..... just saying
    Member Formerly Known as HawkfaninTX

    We are what we repeatedly do, EXCELLENCE; then, is not an act but a habit.

    https://twitter.com/#!/chrisabraden

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fort Dodge
    Posts
    2,643

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Quote Originally Posted by docholihawk View Post
    Just wondering, is Blythe a candidate to move to left tackle after Scherf leaves?
    Doubt it very much as he is one that many think will be vying to fill james ferentz's shoes at center. I think it will be a battle between him, boffeli and simmons. Guards you are looking at the 2 guys that lose the center spot competing with donnal and walsh. Tackles I think are pretty locked at van sloten and scherff. With donnal most likely to move to tackle with injuries. This is all based on donnal and scherff coming back fully next year.
    Last edited by Foval21; 12-09-2012 at 10:28 PM.

  11. #11

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Quote Originally Posted by Foval21 View Post
    Dount it very much as he is one that many think will be vying to fill james ferentz's shoes at center. I think it will be a battle between him, boffeli and simmons. Guards you are looking at the 2 guys that lose the center spot competing with donnal and walsh. Tackles I think are pretty locked at van sloten and scherff. With donnal most likely to move to tackle with injuries. This is all based on donnal and scherff coming back fully next year.
    I think he's saying when Scherff graduates
    "I have an in at Red Lobster, which by just typing that and reading it outloud makes me want to punch myself in the face."
    - storminspank, 2.14.2013

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fort Dodge
    Posts
    2,643

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Quote Originally Posted by KirkNOTCharisma View Post
    I think he's saying when Scherff graduates
    I know I was just using what next yr looks like to show that it is more likely donnal would be the tackle. Plus it is rare to find a guy that has been a projected center (blythe is/was) moved to tackle.

  13. #13
    herkyattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    1,728

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Blythe will not play a snap at tackle at Iowa. He is a guard/center all the way.
    Really, Rick and the offensive line knew we were going to get it done. Nothing was going to stop us. You could’ve put 24 players out on defense and we were going to somehow get it done.”-DJK-

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Waiting for the ground breaking recruiting feature to debut
    Posts
    7,123

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk55 View Post
    all we need is a QB that is better than JVB to manage this team.
    I'm tired of you ripping on players herb. It gets old.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    On a ranch in Nevada.
    Posts
    9,635

    Re: Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

    Great for Austin. Perhaps all is not lost.
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...33308446_n.jpg
    GoHawks24/GhostofBTT/BTTofGhost/deadhead4life


Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in